Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Fourth of July is nearly here. I noticed in the Caledonian piece about the Fourth, it wasn't clear when our fireworks will be, so spread the word that the fireworks are set for Friday night, July 3rd, and if it rains, they will go on Sunday night, the 5th. Our JPA Annual Meeting is on Saturday morning, the 4th, and Ken Hoeppner will speak to us about the rail trail. Don't miss it.

Diane Rossi is ready with the luminaries. Here's the scoop:

The "luminary" sales force is fully armed and ready with "luminaries" for the fireworks on July 3. We have candles with bags for $1 apiece, and hope to surround the pond with candle power for the celebration. The recommendation is to put them about 10' apart along the waterfront. They are available at Hasting's, or from myself, Pam Hebert, Diane Sherwood, Patty Rubulcaba, or Sue Bouchard.
The luminaries are a very nice way to light up your shoreline to celebrate the 4th. They reflect on the water and create a serene, unified glow. So light 'em up and then take a canoe or kayak ride out onto the water to get the full effect. When nearly everyone has them out, it's really a beautiful display.

Yesterday I had this picture from Liz Randall. She spotted this box tu
rtle on her patio at Miller Place, LI. She said he meandered back into the woods after a bit. Nice shot of him, Liz. I guess these guys aren't too shy and don't mind having their picture taken.

Liz also sent a picture of the preserves she'd just made. I can't tell what kind from the picture, but I know she makes delicious jams and preserves every year. Isn't it pretty? And it's just as good as it looks!!


Liz says she has two gardening seasons because everything in her Miller Place garden has gone by just about the time she heads to Joe's Pond where the garden is ready to produce.

I didn't get any rain in my rain gauge last night. On the precipitation map, just about everywhere around us got at least a bit of measurable precip, but not here. I think before the day is over we'll have some, though. I'll be working at the historical society museum again this afternoon. I'm going to test those spools to see if the glass insulators I have will fit on them, and perhaps I'll come across another odd bit of history to show you. Or, come on down and see for yourself all the interesting things we have on display. The museum will be open from two to four.

No comments:

Spring and Reminders

This has been a busy weekend for me. I think the nice weather brought out not only the buds on trees and flowers, but it energized people. I...