Friday, May 01, 2009

Springtime requires folks to get busy with all sorts of outside duties. Fred is getting ready for a wood delivery - that should come any time now. I'm cleaning up flower beds and considering planting a few vegetables this year. We gave up on a garden several years ago-- seems like what the deer didn't get early on, the raccoons or bears ruined later. I like having a garden, though. The hardest part is preparing the ground, but there's a large spot where Fred had his woodpile last year that looks like it's just waiting for me to come along with some extra nutrients and churn it into an oasis of good things to eat.

While I'm waiting for the soil to warm up and dry out a bit, I've been working on old photographs again. This one is from Phil Rogers's collection. It's "Dew Drop Inn" - anyone know which cottage this is? According to a message written on the back of this picture postcard, it was on the Cabot side of the pond and the card was mailed in August of 1911. I can almost remember seeing that name on a camp years ago, but still can't quite place it. Hardly any of the cottages on this side of the lake look like they did even 50 years ago, say nothing of when this picture was taken, but someone will know it, I'm sure. Perhaps Phil does - I'll ask when I see him next.

On the Comments Page Susan Fontaine is looking for a cottage to rent and some historic information about "Shorty" Long who owned a cottage next to Montgomery's on the middle pond. If you know about that cottage or have a cottage to rent, I'm sure Susan would like to hear from you.



No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...