Friday, March 20, 2009

A nice day here today, but it has stayed cool in spite of the bright sunshine. I went to Cabot Village late this morning and the road was still frozen from a very cold night last night. I'm guessing nothing melted much today, and they may not have had much of a sap run, either. The picture on the right was taken quite early this morning and you can see there isn't much bare ground showing. There's even less on this side of the pond, but when you get up on the Plain, the snow cover is much less due to the wind, and there is quite a bit of bare ground. Then, as I dropped down into Cabot, it looked a lot more like spring, but it still felt cold.

Woody sat for a long time in the sun this morning and seemed to be listening intently for something, probably a creature under the snow. Then he s
aw me in the window taking pictures and I guess that reminded him he was hungry so in a minute he was at the door ready to come in. We have opened his door into the basement so he can come and go as he wishes during this nice weather, but when he knows we're available, he will usually knock for us to let him in. We have attached an old sap spout to a string and he's learned to bat it with his paw so it raps on the door and we, of course, respond. He likes being waited upon.

I'm getting ads together for the Joe's Pond newsletter, and talked with Joe Turner at Point Comfort. We knew they had plans to turn the cottages into condos, and Joe told me everything has gone smoothly and they should
be available perhaps as early as May. I'll have more in the newsletter for you on that, with prices, etc. That will be a change for that place. There have been lots of changes at Point Comfort in the past years. Here's how it looked in about 1928, when there was a large dance hall, a restaurant, and gas pumps there. That was owned by Mr. McLaughlin then. This picture came from Jane (Hastings) Larrabee.

We'll keep you posted, and perhaps have more pictures for you, too.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...