Thursday, January 01, 2009

HI -
" HAPPY NEW YEAR "
I WANT TO WISH YOU ALL A HEALTHY, HAPPY NEW YEAR, AND ALSO A BETTER YEAR WITH YOUR RETIREMENT OR EVERYDAY FINANCES. SURELY THIS PAST YEAR HAS DONE SOMETHING TO MOST OF US.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED TO KNOW IT IS SIX BELOW ZERO THIS MORNING AT JOE'S POND. THANK GOD FOR TV WITH PARADE AND FOOTBALL TODAY.
I FEEL LUCKY THAT I AM DOING SO WELL WITH MY CHEMO SO FAR. FOUR MONTHS AND NO STOMACH SICKNESS IS SURE GREAT. I AM OFF CHEMO FOR TWO WEEKS UNTIL JAN. 12TH.
AGAIN, HAPPY NEW YER TO ALL,
HOMER
*****
This was the scene in my kitchen early this morning. Last night some of our Joe's Pond folks got together at Bill and Diane Rossi's, and there was a bit of interest in how I was doing making the wedding cake for oldest son Bill Dimick's wedding on Saturday - particularly because I've never made a wedding cake before . . .

I had made the cake(s) earlier in the week and wrapped them tightly in saran wrap and stored them in the fridge. I wanted to allow myself time to start over if I needed to and still have time to produce a decent cake. The small test cake I did a couple weeks ago was fine, but I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law that whatever can happen will happen to foul up my best intentions . . . but everything seemed to turn out ok so I was able to get started on building the cake today, laying the foundation for the actual decorating. The picture above is the base frosting, all cake layers firmly in place. Now after spending the day in the refrigerator it's ready for burnishing to smooth it and then for piping and final decorations. IF is comes out ok, I'll post a picture of the finished product tomorrow or Saturday morning - depending on how much time I have. If it looks awful, you'll never see it - I'll grab a couple cans of white whipped frosting by Betty Crocker (you can bet I have them on hand, just in case!) and it will be turned into a four-layer mountain of swirls and ripples, forget about piping and decorations. Bill and Monika have assured me whatever it looks like, as long as it tastes like cake they'll be happy.

We were invited to our neighbor, Elizabeth's, for dinner this afternoon, and just got back a few minutes ago. As always, we had a wonderful meal and enjoyed the company of another neighbor, Louise, and Jan and Janet Westervelt, friends from Cabot Village. It was a very pleasant day and tomorrow I'll be ready to tackle the final steps on the cake . . .



No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...