Monday, December 22, 2008



The weatherization folks came as expected this morning. Two very big trucks and later a smaller truck with a trailer and the overhead insulation stuff. I haven't been able to keep count, but there must be at least eight or ten men, so all parts of the house are under siege.

Woody disappeared when the first two men came into the kitchen. I
searched for him but couldn't locate him, but very soon one of the men called to me saying he'd found him. Woody was peeking out from behind some of my plants in the living room. I "rescued" him and he and I are now hanging out in my office with the door closed. He jumps every time someone comes in or out of the house. There are lots of knocking sounds and strange voices, drills whirring and feet stamping. They put long strips of paper on the floor and that makes an very loud crunch, crunch, crunch when someone walks past our door and down the hallway.

The good news is that they think they may be out of here by the end of the day. We were originally told it might take three days, and we were thinking of the storm coming in on Christmas Eve and whether work might actually have to extend to after Christmas. We'll see how things go.


Liz Randall has been out taking pictures of John clearing out the snow at their house. They are spending Christmas here in Vermont. Here's what Liz wrote to me this morning:
Merry Christmas, we are in our WINTER WONDERLAND village house here on Joes Pond.
I've attached some pictures I just took of John plowing out the driveway this is his 3rd time since Thursday....Still Snowing (Mon. 9:30 a.m.) .....
Lauren filmed a short movie of John plowing I will send that in a separate email...we are keeping snuggly warm by the fireplace....sipping hot cocoa and decorating the tree.....

Snow at the Randall's

We aren't keeping quite as warm as the Randalls - we've had to let our fire go out so the men doing the weatherization can retest to see if they got all the air leaks at the end of the day, but the furnace will take over. The workers are taking lunch breaks in teams - one team eats and the others work, then alternate. Pretty efficient crew. We should be cozy as a bug in a rug by the end of the day . . . I'll probably blog again tonight, but right now I need to get some regular wo
rk done on the computer. I'm watching the wind blowing around outside - looks pretty blustery.

My snow measuring stick shows nearly 3 ft. of snow on the ground. I think at least two feet of that has come within the last two days. Now the wind will move it around a bit and pack it a little before the next round of snow come in for Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...