Monday, December 29, 2008

I finally have my computer back WITH a printer that works AND a scanner that works!! It has taken I don't know how many days and hours, and even some nights, for everything to get worked out. Fred has been on the phone many long hours with Hewlett-Packard tech support people, and the deadline for the expiration of our patience was getting ever closer. I was prepared to return this, the fourth printer we've tried, tomorrow. Fred was up before dawn today and went through the processes of reinstalling various programs, following the last directions given him last night around midnight, and now things seem to be working just fine. Fred needs a medal and a nap, for sure, and I guess the printer can stay.

While my computer was out of commission yesterday, I got this picture from Pat and George Parizo on Sandy Beach Road. George explained the photo this way:
Dec. 28, 2008 Sun set at Joes Pond with UFOs in the top left Conner ( caused by reflection of the Christmas lights on the window)

This view is looking north from the Parizo's towards the fields above Rt. 15. Thanks, George for sending that.

I had also asked about the picture of the frost patterns on the window that George sent a few days ago. It was so beautiful and unusual. Here's what he told me about how he got that great shot:

How I captured Jack Frost
I have a Nikon D 70 SLR camera with interchangeable lens system. It's like a 35 mm camera only in a digital form. We had the shades pulled down over night and when I put the shade up in the morning, there was the subject. I had to move fast ( before my coffee and that was the hardest part) as the heater under the window was really cranking out the heat and the Frost would start to melt. No time to set up a tripod or pick a clean lens other than the standard lens that was on the camera that I had used outdoors in the snow storm the day before.
The trick was to focus on one Frost object at 18 inches away, hold down the focus lock button and swing the camera back to the center of the composed picture and shoot. ( if the focus was not locked the camera would have refocused through the window and the image would have been lost) I let the camera pick it's own settings as I had only a few minuets to capture the picture. I was successful on the the first try.
As for framing the picture, the dirty lens and less than clean windows may really show up as the image is enlarged but it may be worth a try. Might make a nice Christmas card for next year?

So there you have it, if anyone wants to experiment.

I hope everyone has a great day. I have to get going. I have a million things to catch up on, but at least my e-mails are all caught up and posted, I think. I'm sorry for the delays in getting everyone's greetings posted, plus pictures, etc., but with the computer hung up I had only a little time here and there to keep things current. My world is brighter and better organized today. I think I'll be ready for 2009 after all . . . as my Grandfather Bolton used to say, "barring accidents."

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...