Thursday, November 13, 2008

A couple of sad announcements today -
Natalie (Rodger) Capron passed away on October 11. Natalie grew up in West Danville, the daughter of Earl and Mary (Ayer) Rodger. The Rodger family owned the building where the Joe's Pond Country Store is now. Earl had a garage in the north end, and the store was much the same as it is today. Natalie went to grade school in W. Danville and graduated from St. Johnsbury academy in 1939. She then went to Lyndon Teachers' College and taught in the Barnet area. Her husband predeceased her and her sister, Barbara Emmons of Danville died last May. She is survived by four children and 11 grandchildren, her brot
her Earl Rodger of Olympia, WA. and sister Marilyn Guy of Philadelphia, PA.

Natalie was a history buff and we corresponded briefly when I did a story on the statue near the footbridge in West Danville. She provided invaluable background information to me and I very much appreciated her help.


A private family service will be held at a later date.

*****
It is with sadness I also report the passing of Nate Drown's mother, Portia (Morrison) Drown on November 5. She was 89. She was a life-long resident of St. Johnsbury - grew up with Maurice Drown, and they were married in 1940, lived and raised their family on Green Street in St. Johnsbury. She was devoted to her family, and they to her. Portia and Maurice often accompanied Nate to Joe's Pond to assist in opening or closing camp, or just to enjoy being here. Mrs. Drown is survived by her husband, four of their five children, 12 grand children and 25 great-grandchildren; also a sister and brother along with nieces, nephews and cousins. There was a private family funeral service on November 8; a memorial celebration will be at a later date. Those wishing to contact the family may do so privately online at www.saylesfh.com.

Nate and Sally Drown have been members of Joe's Pond Association (W. Shore Rd.) for many years. Our sympathy goes to them and the entire family.

*****
Henretta Splain wrote to me this morning to tell me she saw a moose on her lawn yesterday afternoon. Henretta has lived here for I'm guessing about five years at least, and this is the first moose she's seen. Here's what she said:

Whoppee! The moose was in my front yard at around 4:30 last night. I happened to be standing at my fireplace gazing out at the mts and I saw something dark out of the corner of my eye. It was coming from the top of my driveway and making its way diagonally across my front lawn. It broke into a a lopping kind of a run and heading into my woods down near the road, crossed the road and then was lost to sight. Pretty cool! Big girl!

We suspect it's the same one that's been in the neighborhood most of this fall.

Our son, Jamie, who lives just above both Henretta and us, told me he had a visit from a bear this week. Smashed a bird feeder, but no other damage. Jamie and Marie had been taking in their feeders, but either they forgot that night or perhaps the bear is a daytime marauder.

I took picture above about the same time Henretta spotted the moose . . .




No comments:

News on Local Property Taxes - and More!

It's that time of year when everything is coming to life again - the flowers are blooming and the trees are budding. Today is a lovely,...