Monday, May 05, 2008

We're back to nice weather again. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, too, so we will all have a chance to get outside and do more yard work.

The following was sent to me today, and it might be of interest to some of you.

The Rural Development Administration of the US Department of Agriculture has a Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency grant and loan program for agriculture and rural small businesses.

Information is available at:

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rbs/farmbill/index.html

We delivered some of the Joe's Pond Association newsletters today to those we knew were here on W. Shore Road, and left those with West Danville addresses at the store for you to pick up. The others were put in the mail today. We haven't had the CD from Evelyn yet so can't get it onto the web site, but should have that soon. In the meantime, those of you who are members and who wish to have access to the secure on-line directory should contact me or Tom Dente.

I heard peepers for the first time tonight - they've probably been singing before, but I hadn't happened to hear them. Also today when I was outside raking, I'm pretty sure I had one or two black flies investigate me. They particularly like to get in my hair or behind my ears. Aren't they supposed to wait until the
cherry blossoms are out? Or maybe that's when brook trout are supposed to start biting. As usual, I'm confused. But I know there's some rule about things like that . . .

I was visited today by Richard Petit from North Fayston. Mr. Petit is looking for stereoscopic photos done by C. Goodrich of Plainfield, VT. These would be from the years between 1877 and 1881, and Goodrich took many of his photos in this area. Mr. Petit is gathering originals or will make copies of originals and gathering the information for the Vermont Historical Society. I had a couple that ar
e in the Cabot Historical Society collection that I was able to scan for him, but mainly he was hoping I might be able to identify some that he already had. The one here is of the Georg Hoyt farm in Cabot, later owned by the Roman Kurz family. This farm was on the land in back of the Willey Building and when the Kurz family owned the property, they build a cheese factory there. (This was an independent business and not part of the now famous Cabot Cheese plant.) Buildings and scenery have changed in the last 130 years since Mr. Goodrich was traveling through Vermont towns with his camera, but now and again someone recognizes something and identifies the photo. If you happen to come upon any of the C. Goodrich stereoscopic views, let me know and I'll pass the information on to Mr. Petit.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...