Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On Saturday when I mentioned the Fourth of July Fireworks, I said they are scheduled for July 5th. That is incorrect. I blame my fingers - sometimes they ignore whatever my brain tells them and do their own thing, I believe. Anyway, just to be certain, I checked the Schedule of Events in the newsletter and then on the web site and then went directly to Don Sherwood and now I can safely report that the fireworks are scheduled for JULY 3rd, with a rain date of July 5th. So thanks to Bev and Steve Allen, I've corrected that.

I can't be certain, but I thought I heard a bear bawling up in the woods behind our house this morning. Sometimes they sound like a cow, and it was quite a long way off, so I can't be sure. I think there are cows pastured at the Sousa farm, so it could have been one of them. I only heard it briefly, and couldn't get a good take on it. It wouldn't be surprising if it was a bear - they are normally in our area and looking for food this time of the year.

I heard on the scanner Sunday night that a car hit a moose on Rt. 2 just west of Danville. Fortunately nobody was hurt. I didn't hear if the moose was killed. It may be in the paper today.

I am amazed at the number of emergency calls that go out in a day's time in our area. Yesterday I heard of at least two people who had been injured in falls, one from a ladder and one off a roof. There are calls for lift assistance, for transfer of patients, difficulty breathing, one was a child who fell down a flight of stairs - all in one day. There's a lot going on that people have no idea about unless they are part of the rescue squads. Of course, we don't know when we're going to need to call for help, too, and we should all be reminded to have our house numbers plainly marked so emergency crews can locate us. Ours is on our mailbox, but we really need to post it more clearly. People around the pond should be sure their NEW camp number is prominently displayed. I know some of you don't want to give up the historic camp numbers, but it's really important for the safety of you and your family that you use the new number near the road where it can be seen. Some of you may not be sure what your camp number is. You can contact me or get in touch with your town clerk. Then get it out there in plain sight. I hope it's never necessary for an emergency crew to find you, but if it is, I don't want to hear on my scanner that they can't find your house.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...