Friday, May 09, 2008

Gee, the end of another week! Time flies by so quickly, especially when there's lots to do. I got out early (for me) this morning to work in my flower beds. It's always wonderful to discover things poking through the ground I'd forgotten I planted last fall or that are already in bloom that I thought I'd lost. I have one area that has gone quite wild with lilies of the valley, beebalm, a wild rose bush, day lilies, holyhocks and daffodils, plus here and there always a few lupins spring up. Today I found (I think) silver dollar plants where I must have scattered seeds. I was also surprised to find some tulips healthy and in bloom. I'm always finding bulbs when I'm digging in the garden and am never quite sure what they are, so I stick them any old place. I've never had good luck with tulips - the voles or some other critters always seem to feast on them during the winter. But for whatever reason, these survived. The bulbs I saved last fall to force into bloom for Easter still haven't bloomed, so they're going back in the ground someplace and with any luck will surprise me next year.

One of the most pleasant discoveries today was a lone Mayflower under the smoke bush. I spotted a few of those precious little wild flowers there a few years ago, and am always happy to see them reappear each year. It's not an ideal spot for them, but I'm inclined to let such "intruders" stay undisturbed. Like the wild rose that mysteriously appeared in the same general area. Actually, a cherry tree popped up near there a few years ago and at first I cut it back, but it persisted and now it's a healthy, strong tree that offers welcome shade over our front deck. One day it'll be too big to have there, I suppose, and it'll be fire wood . . . if I can part with it.

I've heard of a few more Joe's Ponders arriving back this week. Andre and Sherry LaPrade arrived on Thursday, as predicted; today I heard from Bryce Montgomery. Here's what he said:
We are back and dissapointed in the weather. Never found an owner on Life Jackets. Didn't like frost this morning. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Bryce

You may remember last summer Bryce found some life jackets floating in the pond. We still have them listed on the "Lost and Found" page. Perhaps someone will see this and claim them. There are new items listed there for sale, too. Also, remember to take a look under "Local Services" when you need something done around your camp. We have several new listings. There were also some new businesses in the newsletter that might be of interest. Check 'em out.






No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...