Thursday, April 17, 2008

Message from Chico Carcoba -

Chico has a cottage on a lake in Woodbury and sent pi
ctures he took today. It was beautiful there, a little less snow than we have here at Joe's, and a lot more water showing. He says the pond at North Montpelier went out on the 15th - Tuesday. Here's his prediction: NORTH MONTPELIER GOES OUT AND 10 DAYS LATER WOODBURY GOES OUT AND 13 MORE DAYS JOE'S GOES. MY PREDICTION IS THE SAME FOR LAST 14 YEARS I HAVE BEEN TALLYING THE JOE'S POND ICE OUT.

If Chico is right, Woodbury will be out a week from tomorrow, the 25th, and Joe's will go out on May 8th. This should be very interesting. Remember the dates - I'll keep track with you. The latest the ice has gone out in the 20 years we've had the contest is May 6. This has been an unusual year, so anything could happen.

These pictures are from Chico of his camp in Woodbury. Thanks, Chico - looks like you'll be swimming in no time!

I should mention that Woodbury Pond elevation is 1,188 ft, while Joe's Pond is 1,551 ft. This can make a big differen
ce in weather and temperature. Also, I believe Joe's Pond is larger overall, and probably deeper than Woodbury Pond - although I don't know that for sure and haven't researched it. I'm sure someone will set me straight on this.

It doesn't really matter - we'll just wait to see if Chico 's prediction comes true. I think the next few days of unusually warm weather could skew his predictions a bit. Most years we don't get such a long stretch of very warm weather as we're expecting for the rest of this week - and then rain, without turning very cold. However, anything can happen - we could even get another snow storm after this warm spell . . . don't put your shovels away just yet!

My daffodils are doing nicely, though - I'm going to pick a few Saturday and hope they open up and are pretty for a family brunch on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AS OF 5PM 4/23 3730 TICKETS ARE OUT OF THE RACE.

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...