Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The turkeys are on the move, and Fred caught them with his camera.

We think there were more, but we only caught these two as they were going through the woods behind our house, probably on their way to Jamie an
d Marie's just above us. I don't think Jamie and Marie are feeding the birds this year because of so many bears being around, but the turkeys are creatures of habit and know that sometimes there have been lots of seeds for them up there. They were probably checking our crabapple tree, too. The squirrels have either taken the apples or knocked them off the tree so they're covered with snow, and I don't think the turkeys would go into the tree to get the apples because the branches are too small to support them. I believe they normally roost at night, but in bigger trees.

We've had snow off and on most of the day. It's beginning to look a bit brighter now, but according to the forecast, we're in for another really cold night. I hope the turkeys can find food and roost with full tummys. They will be nesting soon, and will need plenty of food once their brood is hatched. We found a nest a few years ago in our woods, and it had at least 16 eggs in it. I didn't want to disturb it, so I couldn't really get a good count. We saw lots of turkeys around that fall, so I believe most of them survived.


No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...