Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Good Morning -

I've made an important decision. I'm not going to tell you how we awoke to more snow falling upon us here at Joe's Pond, and I'm not going to dwell on the possibility we're headed in the right direction, springwise, because it maybe didn't get much below freezing last night. Perhaps not telling you this will influence those of you intending to come back soon to stay on your original schedules and not
delay because of the awful weather. On the other hand, there could be snow up to your armpits or mud to your knees . . . but you all know that, so I'm just not going to report anything except the bare essentials - and I hope that soon includes bare ground.

We had dinner with Bill and Diane Rossi last night. Larry Rossi was there, too, and we did a good job of discussing town politics, the world markets, home repairs, the perils of retirement - and we had a delicious m
eal. Diane is a really good cook. Fred had saved some of his Easter banana cream pie for Bill - that was our ticket to the meal, actually. When a friend tells you banana cream pie is his absolute favorite and begs for some, you know you need to share. I think the pie is on a par with peanut brittle in Bill's list of favorites.

Just in case you wonder where I am when I'm going on and on here at verthe computer, Fred took a picture the other night. This is pretty typical, with Woody on his rug, keeping me company. He's inclined to kick sometimes, but ne with his claws out. He walks on my printer or parks in front of the computer screen when he needs me to let him out or thinks I should play the bathtub game with him that's shredded the shower curtain, but mostly he just sleeps and purrs.

I hope you believe the old saying, "a messy desk is the sign of a busy person." My little office is pretty messy, but very functional - unless you're trying to walk around. There are boxes of historical stuff I work on daily, and almost every inch of space is useful for storage of something. My scanner, which is my source of information regarding highway conditions, accidents, etc., is under my desk; then there's the radio on my right that is tuned in to WSTJ because I like their big band music, and because it's at least 50 years old, that's about all I can get on it and it only works during daylight hours. Then there's another bank of books, the paper cutter, files, boxes, a table behind me with a calculator, telephone, more files and papers. There are lots of pictures on the wall, a witch's broom from one of our big spruces, wilted daffodils from Easter (I will have to toss them today), and several oil lamps for when the electricity goes off. This is a good storage space for them except I'm the only one who can get to them without tipping something over.

There's a big closet, too, and that's where all the Joe's Pond Association books are. I have seven of them, plus the portable file George leaves with me so we can pay any bills that come up during the winter, and my little box of note paper and stamps for those sympathy cards I have to send out all too often. I'm sure you get the picture. Nobody is allowed in my office unless I'm here to be sure nothing is displaced. Fred is allowed, but only to defrag the computer, or whatever. He has his own space downstairs, and it's almost as well organized as mine . . . I've thought of rearranging things so I won't have to look out the window at the unrelenting snowstorm, but I'd miss spring if I did that, so I guess I'll just try to be patient.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...