Monday, December 17, 2007



We're Digging Out!

I can't be sure how other folks felt about this storm, but it seems to me it wasn't as bad as predicted. Perhaps because most of us up here in the north country are used to this kind of weather and were prepared for it.

That's Fred clearing the driveway last this morning and coming into the kitchen when he'd finished. He was cold and snowy. He thought he'd be able to stay in for a while, but here's the thing:

Last night while having my evening "cuppa" I was peacefully enjoying an oreo cookie and some walnuts with my tea, and a piece of one of my molars broke off. This has happened to me before - once while eating bread - and it wasn't even a hard bread. I think I did it in a restaurant once, too. Can't remember what I was eating that time, but each time I put in a call to Dr. Kathy Silloway at St. Johnsbury Dental Associates and she or one of her associates fixes me up. So I called this morning and, because they had several cancellations due to the weather, they had an appointment but it gave us only about an hour to get there. We figure half an hour for the trip, so I took the appointment.

We had no problems with the roads - Cabot had plowed, Fred had blown away the snow in our driveway. The wind was blowing a gale and it was only about 12 above, but Fred had a couple of errands to do, so it worked out fine that we needed to go into town. While he was waiting for me he took some pictures of the snow in St. Johnsbury. I'll be posting those a little later on, but for now I want to let you know there's a new business card on the web site - a neighbor who lives on Brickett's Crossing Road just beyond us, is offering to shovel roofs and do other work some of you might be interested in having done. I have to tell you, there's a lot of snow, and while it isn't terribly heavy right now because it's been so cold, if things warm up or if we get a lot more snow, it could be serious. There are warnings out for people to keep their barn roofs clear of snow because we lost several barns last spring when we had a big snowfall.

The other thing I wanted to tell you is that I took a picture of that really, really perfect tree we can see as we're coming out of St. Johnsbury heading west, just before the ramp that takes you north on the interstate. It is actually one of those cell towers, but sure blends into the landscape nicely. You can see it on the ridge in the very middle of the picture. This other picture is of West Danville when we got back around noon. Folks were going about their business as usual, but the wind was sure whipping - also as usual.

Stay warm and safe, wherever you are.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...