Monday, November 05, 2007

Bits & Pieces of News -

I've had a couple of messages from our blog fans. First, Jane Larrabee reports she's now able to open the pictures on the blog ok. If anyone else is still having trouble, or if they don't enlarge when you click 'em, please let us know.

Karen Cobb was interested in the photo of their cottage I posted a few days ago - turns out because Fred put some zoom on it she couldn't figure out where he was when he took the picture. He's accomplished, but he can't walk on water . . . Karen wrote that things are dry around her home in Lynchburg, VA She also wrote that she enjoys the blog so she can keep up with what we're doing here at the pond. Here's part of her e-mail: I give Terry Powers a ring at least once a week so keep up with events up there through her as well. Know the upcoming holiday season will be a tough one for her. By the way, if you hear of anyone in need of a beautifully made "Quillo", Terry is the one to contact. I even found Loon material at Walmart here in Lynchburg that I brought up to Terry to make another Quillo for me. They are wonderful to curl up in to take a nap, read or watch TV! Thing I like about them is that while they are warm, they are also light weight!

Ok, so I didn't know what a "quillo" was. I Googled it and found out a "quillo" is a small quilt that folds up to make a pillow! Isn't that clever?! I'm sure most of you knew that - but it was new to me. Sounds like a great idea, and perhaps you'd like to contact Terry Powers to find out about making them - I believe her e-mail is bzpowers@surfglobal.net. Her phone is 802-684-1034, and the address is PO Box 172, W. Danville VT 05873. I would think a "quillo" would be a great gift idea.

I saw in Saturday's Caledonian Record that Kevin and Pam Johnson, owners of Reed Supply are expanding to include selling and servicing fire extinguishers. I've contacted Kevin and will have something on the web site soon. Everyone should have fire extinguishers in their homes (one on every floor) and also should carry one in your boat. I wonder why we don't hear more about carrying them in the car, too. We've seen several roadside vehicle fires and read about many more. The thing about extinguishers is that you need to have them checked periodically and tested to be sure they will work properly. That's what Kevin's new line of business is about.

There was a picture of Ted Chase in today's Caledonian Record showing him working on a snowmobile trail in Walden. Pre-grooming is going on now to prep the trails before the snow comes, and Ted was hard at work where there had been a new bridge built.

Last but not least, some of you will remember Cooper, the lovable little dog our son Jamie and his wife, Marie, had and that was afflicted with some mysterious ailment that prevented his back legs from working properly. Unfortunately, they finally had to put him to sleep, and it was definitely a sad time for our whole family. Tonight Jamie stopped by with a new member of the family - no name yet - but he's really cute. I can't begin to tell you how much "mix" is running through his veins. He's got some hound, for sure, and two or three other breeds; he was born on a farm in Greensboro where his mother and father are working, keeping intruders out of the stables and chicken coops, herding stray cows and keeping the barn cats in line. Jamie said the farmer was afraid the two puppies born a little less than six weeks ago were going to get stepped on by one of the 100 or so cows on the place, so he wanted someone to adopt them as soon as possible. Jamie and Marie's good friends, Luke and Terry Persons over on Dead Man's Swamp Road (or something like that - it's off Brickett's Crossing Road) knew about the two pups and after seeing them this weekend, each decided to take a puppy home. Jamie and Marie weren't quite ready for another dog, but once they saw this little guy, they couldn't resist. I took a quick picture tonight - will try to get another one when the pup isn't ready for his nap. He'd been playing with our cat, Woody, and investigating our living room, kitchen and my work space, and was pretty much already asleep in Jamie's arms when I snapped the photo.
By the way, Woody does not tolerate other cats, but he sat quietly and let the puppy give him a big sloppy "kiss" on his nose and face.
So I have to believe they'll be good friends. I'll report the puppy's name as soon as it becomes known!

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...