Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cool morning, but I don't think we had the frost that was forecast - at least, we didn't get it here on our little hill. I took in what "tender" plants I had outside, and covered my tomato plants, but I guess they would have been ok without my attention.

Today David Book will be at the Cabot Historical Society building on Main Street, talking about his book on the men from Cabot who served in the Civil War. I've heard him a couple times, so I will not be there, but if any of you are within reasonable driving distance and interested in the Civil War, or interested in researching this sort of thing, you should go and meet David. He and his wife, Miriam, spent many hours searching the National Archives, and I'm sure he'll be able to give you some good advice on how to go about that. Even if you aren't interested in researching, David is an interesting guy and you'll enjoy meeting him.

Our next big event in Cabot is the Fall Foliage Day on Tuesday, October 2. That is a good chance to mix and mingle with locals as well as visitors from all over the map. Of course, I think of Cabot's tours and events first, but other towns have lots of events going on, as well. You'll find some information on the web site, but briefly, here's the run down: Walden is on Monday, Oct. 1, Cabot on Tues., Plainfield's day is Wed., the 3rd, Peacham celebrates on Thurs., Barnet on Friday, Groton on Saturday, and St. Johnsbury on Sunday, the 7th. Each one has special events of interest, and all have meals ranging from Walden's ham supper on through Cabot's Turkey Dinner (Bothfeld's fresh turkeys, some weighed over 40 lbs. last year!); Plainfield's BBQ Chicken/Mostaccioli/Bean supper; Spaghetti Supper at Peacham, Barnet's "European Coffee Hour" 1-4 p.m.; Groton's famous Chicken Pie Supper; and St. Jay's Pancake/Ham brunch. Everyone goes home a few pounds heavier, but with tons of great memories of what they've seen, the people they've met, and - of course, all the good food.

Now I need to get back to work. We've just updated the JPA directory posted on the web site. I will make the directory available in printed form very soon for those of you who like to have one to keep by your phone. I've had several people ask when we will do another printed version. The one we did three years ago has had too many changes to be useful unless you've posted the changes from the newsletters unfailingly. The new printed directory will be updated on a regular (probably yearly) basis. More about all that after I have it ready.

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...