Thursday, August 16, 2007

UPDATED JOE'S POND ON-LINE DIRECTORY

We just put an updated version of the Joe's Pond Directory on the web site. We try to update every couple of months, or more often if there are lots of changes. While I think I have all the recent changes, I could easily have missed something, so please look at it when you have a few minutes and alert me if you find errors. It is printable - 24 pages total.

We walked to the Cabot Plain School and back this morning instead of our usual route along West Shore Road towards Rt. 2. I particularly like that route because it "takes me home" when I reach the school and look across the plain to the farm where I grew up. The area is much changed, but it still brings back fond memories. We noticed there was little water in the two brooks that flow off the plain. It was probably a good thing we got some rain tonight.

Hasting's Store now has the Cabot oral history book, Cabot, Vermont a Collection of Memories From The Century Past, for sale. It has lots of history, numerous old photos, facts, humor, and life stories told in the voice of Cabot citizens interviewed in 1999. Even if you don't know the people in the book, I think you'll find it represents well rural Vermont life and attitude just before, during, and after WWII. Look at the extensive index of names - you'll likely find references to people you know. The weather report tonight from WCAX indicates the next few days will give us a glimpse of the fall to come. I'm working on our Fall Foliage Day celebration in Cabot that comes up on October 2, so for me the leaves have already turned and I'm waiting for the frost on the pumpkin, sure to follow soon.
Too soon!

If you've taken the road to Cabot Plain, you'll recognize the Cabot Plain School, now a private residence; the former Bolton farm; the Maynard house, and what most think is a garage that goes with that house. However, before it was a garage it was the Cabot Plain School until the new one was built in 1929. My mother's first teaching position was at
that old school. She was instrumental in getting a new school built. My Grandfather Bolton donated the land for the new school and everyone pitched in to raise the money to fund it, and neighbors helped build it. My mother met my father while teaching at the old school, left there to teach in Adamant a short time, and then after she and my dad were married, went to teach at West Danville. She finally got to teach in the "new" Plains School during the 1940's until the school was closed in 1948 and she and the students had to go to Cabot Village. She taught in the village for several years before leaving to work for the Department of Social Welfare in St. Johnsbury.






No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...