Monday, June 18, 2007

The past few days have been busy with a variety of things going on and many e-mails flying back and forth. As you know, people send me notices, bits of information, and comments, and I try to post those items I think are interesting or helpful right away, otherwise they may be lost in the clutter of my desk or my mind forever. Tonight while I was preparing our meal, I remembered that Carolyn Hamilton had sent the following to me, probably a week or more ago. The e-mail has long-since been discarded, but fortunately I'd saved the message in Word. Here it is - and thank you, Carolyn. This is important information everyone should know and heed.

An investigation by the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta discovered that the tops of soda cans can be encrusted with dried rat's urine, which is so toxic it can be lethal. Canned drinks and other foodstuffs are stored in warehouses and containers that are usually infested with rodents, and then they get transported to retail outlets without being properly cleaned. They said there is a virus (much like the Hanta virus) that lives in dried rat and mouse droppings.

Once dried, these droppings are like dust and can easily be breathed in or ingested if a person does not wear protective gear or fails to wash face and hands thoroughly.

*****

Part of what has kept me busy recently is that I've been rounding up items for the Fourth of July rummage sale in Cabot. There are always items that I no longer use or wear and when there's some life left in whatever it is, I hate to toss it, so periodically I take stuff to the Salvation Army in St. Johnsbury or donate to a good cause like the rummage sale.

As I packed things up for Terri Persons to pick up later this week, I recalled how, when my boys were little and we lived in St. Johnsbury, we always supported the sales that South Church had. I'd have the kids help me go through their things, picking out items of clothing and toys they'd outgrown, to take to the church. Grandmother Dimick always volunteered to work on the rummage sales, and very often brought us treasures she'd found, sometimes a book or a dish she thought I'd like. She loved finding clothes for the boys, enthusiastically declaring, "I found the cutest shirt (or sweater or jeans) I'm sure will be just right for one of the boys." She'd open the bag and pull out her "find" - more than once one of the items we'd only hours before deposited for the church to sell! It was ok, though. It's the thought that counts - and the memories.

Terri told me she's picked up some really nice items already and said she will be working at the Masonic Hall on Saturday, June 30th from noon on, accepting stuff for the sale on the 4th. She will pick up your items ahead of time if you give her a call, 563-2090, or you can leave them off on that Saturday. There are sure to be some collectibles and probably an antique or two, so if you can, go to Cabot on the 4th, watch the parade, stop at the Historical Society Building and see our newly restored painted curtain, visit the rummage sale, crafters, eat some BBQ - have fun!



No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...