Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Well, all the excitement is pretty much over now. However, I did have some pretty exciting news from Gary Duke (Clubhouse Circle). Take a look at this!

Hi, Jane -- I heard about the ice out finally happening on the Pond -- we may have not won the prize, but I'm sure glad to hear the ice is leaving finally! Anyway, I'm not sure how much you monitor the news coverage, but online I just located 73 stories from all over the country (mostly newspapers that picked up the AP story). We got picked up in USA Today, CBS News online, the Boston Globe, and many large city newspapers from coast to coast. My dad said he also saw it on CNN Headline News this morning. I even saw it posted on an Australian website!
Thought I'd share, in case you didn't already know.
Regards,
Gary

Pretty good for a low-tech operation like ours. Jeff Downs (top of Sandy Beach Rd.) told me it was on NPR this morning. Gotta love those reporters that like to find a real human interest piece to write about. Associated Press reporter John Curran's follow-up piece is creating almost as much buzz as his first article did the day before this year's contest closed.

I just this minute received another request from someone who wants to be notified as soon as the 2008 tickets are available. It is probably a direct result of the above coverage Gary and Jeff have noted. It's hard for those of us who have just finished working on this year's contest to think about gearing up for next year, but already Dave is starting the process. (Sigh!)

Here's what the pond looked like last night after the block went down. I haven't been down today, but with the wind and the sun, there can't be much ice left, so it looks as if we may be able to enjoy our first real summery weekend for a long time.


No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...