Monday, March 12, 2007

Noontime Visitors

I was just finishing my tea this noon, sitting in my chair by the big livingroom windows, when I noticed some movement just beyond the pile of logs at the end of our driveway. Beautiful big turkeys, five in all, came up the steep bank to our driveway and then walked along the snobbanks to investigate our apple trees. They had come from across the road near Randall's. Fred was able to get several nice shots of them as they meandered along, so close to the house we thought they'd surely spot us even though we moved carefully so we wouldn't frighten them. I'm sure they were finally aware of us, and although at one point one seemed ready to fly up to one of the lower branches of one of the apple trees, I guess he decided there wasn't enough to eat there to make the effort worthwhile. The last we saw of them, all were headed towards the lower woods in back of our house.

We were happy to see these fellows looking so big and healthy. I'm sure they will nest nearby and raise their young here this summer. A few years ago, while walking in our woodlot below the house, we came upon a nest. We didn't want to disturb it, but I quickly counted 16 eggs before I backed away. Later in the summer there were lots of young turkeys around, so I'm sure a good number of those eggs hatched.

It's probably been a long winter for these guys, too, and they are as happy to feel spring in the air as we are. Click to enlarge the photos.

No comments:

News & Chatter

I was saddened this morning when I read in the Caledonian Record that Archie Prevost passed away. Archie was well known around Joe's P...