Friday, February 09, 2007


I received the following from Patty Pirie Coffrin about her step-mother's passing. We are saddened for her family and friends, but hope they will take comfort in knowing this "second time around" love story Patty has so graciously taken the time to relate. Joe's Pond has been responsible for some wonderful relationships over the years, and this story is a lovely example.

I thought I should let people know that my step-mother, Betty (Hall) Hooper-Pirie passed away last night. [Feb. 8, 2007.] She had been dealing with many health issues the past few months, mostly to do with her lungs, and now can finally be in peace.

She and my Dad [Fred Pirie] met each other over 60 years ago at Joes Pond where both of them had camps while growing up.They lost touch of each other after the war (World War II), both going on to marriages and famlies. Who knew that 50 years later they would be reunited back at Joes pond? But that's what happened. She and her daughter came to Joes Pond one weekend and stopped in the bay to ask me if Fred Pirie still owned the place. Later that day my Dad came up for lunch and I told him about this lady (Betty), asking about him. He tried to find her by going to the camp her family used to own, but no luck. It was only when we saw her daughter go thru the channel in their boat that we were able to track her down. My son (who was around 10years old) ran out to stop her and since I couldn't remember her name, he yelled out, "Hey Lady, my mother wants to talk to you!"

Cherie, her daughter, informed us her Mom was waiting for her at the boat launch, and with that info. my father was gone like a flash, and the rest is history. They spent the next several years enjoying each other, just shy of ten of them were spent in marriage.

Betty grew up in the Danville area. She holds the record for catching the largest lake trout out of Joes Pond, her father holds the second place.

I'm not sure what the funeral arrangements will be, everything might be put on hold till Spring. What I do know, is that Joes Pond held a very special place in her heart and she so very much wanted to make it back there one more time.

Patty (Pirie) Coffrin

Patty's mailing address is 432 Hollister Hill Rd., Plainfield VT 05667


No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...