Sunday, January 21, 2007

It has been a beautiful day here. Bright sunshine, sparkling snow, and the wind has died down some. Temperatures have remained close to zero, but without the wind, it's not bad at all as long as you're dressed for it.

I walked down to camp and back this afternoon. Judy Lewis from Sandy Beach Road was walking, too. We were both bundled up and it took us a minute to recognize each other. Fred didn't go with me today because he wanted to continue splitting the wood he'd sawed up. He's made a big hole in that huge pile of logs in just these few days. I was mistaken when I said he wouldn't work in the severe cold - I guess when you're wielding a heavy splitting mall you don't worry about the cold. It's hard work.

I didn't see son, Bill, at camp. But I let myself in so I could take some pictures of the "village" that sprang up overnight on Friday. Saturday was the first day of trout fishing, and Bill said when he got home Friday night there was a lot of activity on the pond and he could see a couple of ice fishing shanties in the cove. During the evening he heard what he thought was snowmobiles, and Saturday morning he was amazed that there were at least ten fishing shacks and several ATV's there, and the fishermen had apparently set up their equipment and spent the night on the ice so they would be ready at "first light" to begin fishing. The fishing shacks this year seem to be unusually colorful, and late this afternoon there was still quite a bit of activity around them. Further up the lake I spotted another fisherman - no shelter, all alone, quietly tending his tip-ups. Ice fishermen are a dedicated bunch of enthusiasts. And it's not just a guy thing - women and kids get out there, too. They ride snowmobiles, or skate, chit-chat with their neighbors, take turns minding the tip-ups, or sit in the sun and just enjoy.
This is a Joe's Pond some people never see. It isn't for everyone, but when the fish are biting, it's worth the effort, for sure.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...