Thursday, December 21, 2006

Here's the latest No Snow Report:

We still have a sifting of snow on the higher elevations around the pond, but it's sadly missing at even slightly lower elevations such as Barre, Danville, Marshfield, Cabot or St. Johnsbury, and on the southern slopes. Some folks are saying it's great -
I had one lady tell me today she thinks people are better natured than usual for this time of the year and in spite of crowds of last-minute shoppers, folks seem to be very up beat and smiling. I guess she didn't run into any skiers . . . or snow boarders . . . or snowmobilers!

Here are some pictures Fred and I took this afternoon. You can see
that the broad lake is still open. The narrows are open, but both the smaller ponds are pretty well iced over. No really cold weather forecast, and only snow flurries probably on Sunday, possibly turning to rain. Go figure. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

I bet some of you folks who left back in September and October wish you'd stayed for the really nice weather we're getting now! Those of us who hang out here all winter are feeling pretty fortunate that the fuel bills may not be quite as high this year, and the driving has been great. Even on the few days when I need my winter boots here, I don't wear them if I'm heading to St. Johnsbury because I know I'll look very strange to the folks in town who are still in summer sneakers. Today in St. J. I saw an otherwise well-dressed woman wearing flip-flops -- bare feet and painted toenails, just like in the summer. (Sigh!) Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...