Saturday, October 28, 2006

It's always nice when someone is concerned for another's safety. This week I received a note from Karen Gruggel Cobb in Virginia with one of those "forward" messages I've learned to be wary of, but she says she's checked it out and it's for real.

Actually, it struck me as being good common sense. It is a warning that drivers should not use cruise control when the pavement is wet or icy. According to the message, when in cruise control, if your car begins to go into any sort of slip or a hydroplane situation, your wheels momentarily lose contact with the pavement and that automatically lets the wheels spin faster and can propel you out of control like a shooting arrow.

Lots of our Vermont roads have twists and turns, hills and few opportunities to pass, and our weather is notably finicky much of the year, so cruise control isn't an option a lot of the time. I don't use it except on dry, sunny days on throughways in relatively light traffic. I need to FEEL my car, and I want to be in full control.
I bet many experienced drivers here in the north country feel the same way.

Therefore, from my personal perspective, the warning, "Never use cruise control in the rain (or snow)" is worth passing on. So thanks, Karen, and hopefully folks will be safer on the highways because of your thoughtful concern.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...