Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Visit to Ken Klingler's Studio

Yesterday I went to the workplace of a very talented artist, Ken Klingler. Ken and his family live high atop Whittier Hill in Cabot. To reach their home and his workshop/gallery, you need to take Thistle Hill Rd. off Rt. 2, near Molly's Falls Pond/Reservoir, and go about a mile. It's a steep road, not one for the timid. There are corners so sharp it's hard to imagine meeting another car without getting your rear fender bumped. I didn't meet any cars.

When I got to Ken's place, he brought out some of his displays so I could photograh them. Ken is going to speak at the Cabot Historical Society on Thursday, July 20th, and I was there to get information and pictures for a press release. Ken is not only a talented artist, he is also a knowledgeable "avocational archaeologist" - that's what he's going to talk about next Thursday.

After I took some pictures, we went into his gallery. I hadn't been there for a while and I was delighted to see several large carvings. There was an Indian, not quite life size, and a blue heron that was life size but Ken said the grain of the wood was too beautiful to cover completely. He cleverly painted only a few details on the glass-smooth wood. I couldn't resist running my hand over the curve of the bird's back. Everywhere I turned there was more to see, and Ken patiently answered my questions about the wooden horse sign he hopes to restore, the authentically decorated animal skulls hanging on the wall as if left there by some Indian hunter, and the picture of a carousel horse he'd finished for a collector.

I spent well over an hour there, and still had not discovered all the treasures, some completed, some works in progress. I will go back soon and spend more time, and probably come home with one of Ken's carvings. I'm sure you'd enjoy at trip up there, too. While you're there, the Newton's place is next door, just a bit further up the hill, and that's worth a stop, too. Perhaps their llamas will be outside. Continue on that road and you will, after about three or four miles of beautiful countryside, come out in Cabot Village. All the pictures were taken at Ken Klingler's place.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...