Saturday, January 06, 2018

One more awfully cold day behind us, but tomorrow it should begin to warm up a little. Today was again below zero all day, or at least every time I looked. I admit I didn't bother to check very often. Seeing those negative numbers gets old quickly.
     I had a note from Mary Whitcomb (remember Clem, the misplaced Baltimore oriole?) and some photos of birds at her feeder today. Keep in mind that in addition to it being cold, it was snowing and blowing, so there was lots of snow in the air and it no doubt made flying conditions a little dicey, even for birds. Here's what Mary wrote:

Hello Jane,  I am hoping that when this deep freeze ends Sunday, it is the last one for this winter.  Take a look at these poor birds.  I shoveled off my deck and put out lots of sunflower seeds by 7 this morning and within a minute these snow covered birds showed up and ate hungrily.  It took a few hours for them to shed the freezing crystals on their feathers.  I had to shovel again later as a very light snow fell plus the wind was blowing snow something fierce, plus I threw out more seeds to keep them well supplied.  Take care & keep warm!  Mary

Wow, I have never seen frost-covered birds before! At least these guys are all native to our cold climate. Still, this weather must be hard on them, especially since it's been so very cold for so long. It's a good thing they have Mary's feeder and that she looks after them all so well. I noticed a peanut in this last photo, so I guess the squirrels and chippies get special treats, too! Good work, Mary!
 



No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...