Sunday, April 02, 2017

We've enjoyed a really pretty spring day.  The sun made it through the clouds around noon and things warmed up into the 40s.  Fred and I were on the road most of the day collecting Ice-Out tickets from various locations.  We won't have a count on number of tickets sold for a few weeks, probably.  We should have it by the time the block sinks, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.  Everything is still pretty solidly frozen around the pond.  

This Canada goose looks like he's wondering where all his buddies are.  Jim Farnsworth, who owns the Sam & Judy Lewis home, took this picture.  Jim said he hung out most of the day.  I don't think there is any open water, even in the channel yet.  I can usually see it from here - I'll look again tomorrow, but last time I paid attention the channel was solidly frozen over, too.

We will be getting a mixed bag of weather in the coming week.  One thing I'm expecting is a bad mud season this year.  I hope I'm wrong, but all the signs are there.  The top of West Shore Road coming off of Route 2 is really bad - deep holes and washboard.  I let Danville road crew know, but they haven't done anything about it yet.  The warning cone they put by the big hole over the culvert has been knocked over - perhaps into the hole, I'm not sure - but it isn't doing any good,  and someone could get into big trouble if they get too far over when meeting a car there.  


 

No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...