Saturday, May 25, 2024

Summer Fun!

 Joe's Pond Association's Spring Meeting was held this morning. This kicks off a fun three months of activities for the Association members, their friends, guests and folks from surrounding communities. The meeting covered a lot of JPA business, we had a chance to see friends we haven't seen for at least six or eight months, and we met the winner of this year's Ice-Out Contest. It was a good meeting and the minutes will be posted in due course on the Joe's Pond website.

One of the topics covered this morning was the new regulations governing wake-boat use. There is only a small area in the third, largest, pond - and that is a rather irregular area directly off the public fishing access. That is our only bay of very deep water. There is a map published by the State of Vermont that gives details: MAP. It won't be easy for operators of those boats to know where their limits are, I'm sure, and as someone at the meeting mentioned - it will create a "washtub effect" being confined to that small area. While that may eliminate stirring up sediment from the lake bottom, it will almost certainly concentrate even heavier damage along shorelines in that area than we've seen in the past. These regulations are new and it will take time to figure it all out.

The West Danville United Methodist Church is looking for someone to help provide music for their Sunday services for a while this summer. Carolyn Hamilton has been their summer organist, but as you know, she has been hospitalized and won't be available, at least for several weeks. If you play the piano, the organ, sing, or have any other talent that might work for Sunday services, please get in touch with Jane Milne, 802-684-3343, or use the contact information on their Facebook page: 802-584-3765 or email: breann802@gmail.com.

The West Danville United Methodist Church is serving a pork dinner on June 29 - there will be limited seating and also take-out. Please make your reservations before Wednesday, June 26. This is a "reservations only" dinner, so be sure you let them know if you want to attend or get take-out. Jane Milne is taking reservations, call her at  (802-684-3343). Click on this poster to see the menu and get further instructions.

I did a little trimming on my lawn after lunch today. It is amazing how fast the grass grows this time of year! I think the lawn was mowed either Wednesday or Thursday and already the dandelions are merrily waving at me across the lawn. I have a wealth of lily-of-the-valley plants this year, too. Like the apple trees - it seems to be an exceptionally good year for them! I don't really mind - they make a great ground cover since I'm trying to decrease the amount of flower beds I have. My trimmer ran out of juice before I did today! I was all booted up and covered with insect spray to keep the ticks and black flies away, and hoped to get more done. Some of what I did today was quite dense grass, and that took more power so the battery ran down fairly quickly. That's ok - I wanted to post here, and now that has been accomplished.

I am amazed at how much pollen there has been on my porch this year. My glass-top table was covered a few days after I uncovered it for the season. And this morning there was another coating. I'm not sure where it's all coming from, but I'm guessing the maple trees - and maybe the apple trees? I don't remember ever seeing quite as much as there is this year, though. It has collected on my porch screens, so I guess a gently brushing is probably in order - or we need a good brisk wind and maybe some rain!

I was expecting some rain tonight, but my weather station is only predicting cloudy weather. Around noon it was showing rain in the forecast. I had a low temperature reading of  39.4F last night. My big plants (palms, an avocado and some sort of citrus tree) are outside on the porch and I worried about them, but they seem to have survived. I don't think it's going to be that chilly tonight. It's nice to have good weather for Memorial Day Weekend! Enjoy, and be safe.

No comments:

Lovely Autumn Days

 We have had absolutely lovely fall weather for the past several days - perfect for the annual Fall Foliage Festivals scattered throughout o...