Friday, November 25, 2022

Busy Holiday Weekend

 I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family or friends. I was fortunate to be able to do both and celebrated two days, starting on Wednesday with a traditional turkey diner (and ham) with family at Waterford. There were six of us, Bill, Monika, my granddaughter Tangeni, Monika's mom, Floriana from Namibia, and a friend of the family, Winnie, also from Namibia. I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures! We were so busy talking, laughing and eating, it never occurred to me.  I also met the newest addition to their family, "Thor," a handsome all-black kitty that is just about the mellowest cat I've ever met. I don't think even my Woody would be as gentle as Thor. He seems to love Tangeni just as Woody did, but Thor also has a wardrobe of collars, bandanas, scrunchies, and lets Tangeni "dress" him without complaint. When he's had enough, he just jumps onto the back of the sofa and sprawls there, tail whipping. But like Tangeni says, he doesn't bite or scratch, ever.

 Diane (Rossi) and I decided some time ago to get together for a take-out meal from the Village Restaurant in Hardwick. It was a beautiful day, and we went there around 1 o'clock, approached the window next to the sidewalk that had a sign "Take-Out," and almost immediately, a woman came, took our order, and about 5 minutes later, we were on our way back to my house. We popped them into the oven just to bring them up to temperature, and they were delicious. We had a traditional turkey dinner with plenty of everything. And pumpkin pie! We were stuffed. I actually wasn't able to finish mine - too full; so last night I had a hot turkey sandwich for supper - and pumpkin pie. There's no such thing as too much turkey for me!

Jamie and Marie did their traditional dinner, this year at their house. Other years they have provided dinners for Diane and me, but we thought they needed a break, and that's why we decided on takeout. They had Marie's mom and sister with them, and also took a dinner to a neighbor who lives alone. During Covid, they made Thanksgiving dinners for all of us and distributed them to us at home. Always delicious and so appreciated. Bob and Theresa traditionally spend Thanksgiving at home. They enjoy watching football and this year was special because Theresa's favorite team, Dallas Cowboys, won over the NY Giants, 28-20. So everyone was well occupied, and celebrated the holiday in their own way.

Now I need to do some catching up on emails. Here is a notice I should have posted earlier, but I was busy and not paying attention to emails. Liz Sargent sent me this notice about the online auction that started today and will run through November 30th. Here is the poster. I tried using the https address on the poster, but that didn't work for me. However, I found the auction on their Facebook page, so the above link will take you to it ok, I believe. Looks like lots of fun, and it benefits the children's library and community playground - a worthy cause.

I received another interesting email this week, which I read but didn't post right away. I thought it was from Cousin Ora, but I've searched and don't find it. It was about what to do if a service dog approaches you by itself. These dogs are highly trained and I thought it was perfectly logical that the dog was looking for help because its owner was in trouble. Since I couldn't find the email and don't remember who sent it, I did a quick search on the internet and found that not all service dogs are trained to seek help if their owner is having a medical emergency. However, some are, and if this should happen to you, you should follow the dog. They are trained to take you to wherever their owner is. Of course, you should also call 911 - to get help as soon as possible. Good information, so thank you, whoever it was that sent it to me. 

I think those are the only posts I had in my mailbox. I will try to keep up to date better with postings now. My calendar isn't as full as it was last week!

It's time to retire our fall decorations and think about the Christmas holidays. Tomorrow I may cut some brush for wreaths and/or swags, and see if I can haul out at least a few decorations. The weather should be ok - I don't think I'll need to wade through several inches of snow tomorrow like some years - we are getting rain today and it's 40 degrees, so it's a good time to get that done. It's time to think seriously about Christmas plans, though. Somehow, December has a way of whizzing by and suddenly Christmas is here and we're nowhere near ready. Which is ridiculous for me because I don't really DO that much for Christmas anymore. I'm going to try to plan better this year so I have time to send cards and make Christmas cookies, at least. We'll see how that goes!

If you are traveling this weekend, be careful and stay safe.

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...