Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Wet and Wetter

 We've had a lot of rain in the past 48 hours!  Monday morning I measured 2 inches and this morning I had 2.28 inches in my measuring tube. My pond was down to just a few inches and now it's about 1/3 full. That's a lot of water. Some of it is coming off the hill above it, where I'm hoping Ben Ackermann will be able to channel runoff from those springs into a ditch that will empty into the pond at one point rather than having it running down the entire hillside  and eroding the banks of the pond on that back shore. It is very wet out there this morning  and I had to carefully pick a path where I wouldn't sink into mud - almost like it was last spring and well into the summer. We'll figure it out.

I began writing this edition of the blog this morning, and for a short period, it looked as if we might see the sun; but that didn't happen, and we've just had a strong rain shower, the sky is dark and there is fog settling over the hillside behind my house. More of the same in the forecast. 

I didn't publish this because I wanted to share some before and after pictures of my pond - it's quite amazing how much water it has in it now. But for some reason, the photos I sent from my phone have not been received on my PC, so I'll post them another day. With more rain coming, I may be able to post a picture of a full pond, who knows? So I'll continue on and publish this without the photos.

Some of you will probably already know about Dorothy Burrington's recent death, and I know many of you knew her. For those who didn't know Dot and her late husband, Morris, they were long-time residents and valued members of our community, and they will be missed. Here is Dot's obituary:

 Dorothy Rose Burrington, 82, passed away on Monday, Sept. 12, 2022. Dorothy “Dot” was born in Hardwick on July 8, 1940 to Myron and Blanch Salls where she and her sisters, Goldie Salls (Chartier) and Sylvia Salls (Joyal) were raised and attended school. Dorothy graduated from Hardwick Academy in 1958 and soon married Morris Herbert Burrington on Dec. 29, 1958. They lived and farmed in Danville until 1972 when they moved to West Danville.

Dot stayed busy doing the things she enjoyed which included working in her greenhouse, maintaining her small farm as well as a window repair business. In 1989 she joined the Caledonia Farmers Market where she and Morris could be found selling baked goods, crafts and plants. Later into the fall, Dot would make and sell Christmas wreaths that decorated homes throughout the county. Their pride for the community and love of the land inspired Dot and Morris to maintain the Joe’s Pond Beach for many years. Dorothy was predeceased by her husband, Morris in 2018.

Contributions in her memory may be made to the West Danville Community Club, P.O. Box 6, West Danville, VT 05873, for the continued maintenance of the beach and surrounding community. Arrangements are with the des Groseilliers Funeral Home.

******************

Gretchen Farnsworth sent this lovely photo of the sunrise last Thursday, and I didn't get it posted. But here it is - a moment in time.

I'm sure I'll have foliage pictures to share within a week or so, but right now we're still very green. There are a few touches of color on trees near my house, and I can see a hint of color in spots on the other side of the pond - but only here and there. Nothing very camera-worthy yet, but it will happen soon. And be all over in a couple weeks.

Tomorrow is the last day of summer! Can you believe it? Some of the pond folks have left, but there are still lots of lights around the pond every evening. Time is getting short, though, and soon there will be only us year-rounders here. Most of the larger boats have been taken out because of the closure of the boat launch around the first of October. We aren't sure how long the repair work there will take, but most are not taking any chances and have already hauled their boats out. 

This is a perfect time of year to get out in your canoe or kayak, though! We will have beautiful fall days when the pond is like glass and the only sounds are birds and occasional distant shore sounds -- a door slamming, maybe some pounding where someone is making repairs or building before cold weather, or a dog barking. When the air is just right, there are sounds of cars on Route 2 or 15, or a truck on West Shore Road. But it all blends into the background and you are barely aware of anything except the reflection of fall colors on the water, and the rhythmic sound of your paddle as you quietly move through the water. Moments like that make lasting memories.

A bird just fluttered up to my window - chasing down lunch, I expect. I'm used to seeing hummingbirds coming to the perennial sweet pea vines next to my office window, but it has been at least a week, maybe more, since I've seen any, so I know it's time to take in my hummingbird feeder and reposition the pole for winter feeders. I found a great spot last year for the pole - next to the path from my basement door and where I can view it from my living room window. I need only to shovel a few feet to get to it to fill it. I will wait to hang any feeders out there, and won't attach my little window feeder for a while. There are plenty of seeds and fruit in the wild for the birds right now, but when snow comes, I'll be ready! I love watching the birds, and even the squirrels, up to a point. But they are greedy little creatures. Here's a solution I found interesting, but it is complicated - and more amusing than effective. Take a look. 

Actually, I enjoy pegging snowballs at the squirrels when they get too bold. I've managed to score a hit or two, but of course nothing is hurt except their squirrely egos, and after directing a barrage of what I imagine are squirrel curses at me from the nearest hole-in-the-wall entrance to their cozy underground den, they are back, swinging from the feeder again, joyfully defying me. There are plenty of seeds on the ground (the birds are messy eaters!) so I don't hesitate to open the window and lob a snowball when a squirrel seems to be hogging the feeder! It's a lot more fun than crossword or picture puzzles!

No comments:

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...