Sunday, September 25, 2022

Autumn Begins

 Our "Leaf Peeper" season began yesterday with Cabot hosting Fall Foliage Day. There were definitely a lot of people in the area - the traffic increased by my house, and when I went to Cabot Village to pick up turkey dinners at the church around 4:30, there were several cars lined up on the Plain checking out the markers, the covered bridge and that absolutely gorgeous view. It was a perfectly clear day and, although none of them probably were aware, they could see the White Mountains in the east, Camel's Hump and the Worcester Range to the west, and Jay Peak and Canada to the north. Whenever I see tourists wandering about up there, I want to stop and give them a history of the place. There is so much I'm sure they have no clue about. Do they know they are on an historic military road? Have they any idea there once was a thriving community with relatives of Daniel Webster among the first to settle here? That there was a hotel called the "Yellow House," stores, a school, and farms along that road, and heavily loaded wagons drawn by horses or oxen used that route to get to northern Vermont and Canada with all kinds of merchandise through here? According to author Archie Stone, as many as 60 a day passed over the Plain. But I was on a mission to pick up turkey dinners, so I didn't stop and impose on those unsuspecting visitors.

Down the road as I approached Burtt's Orchard, the cattle were neatly lined up, at least three deep, alongside the fence where a carload of visitors were happily taking pictures. It was as if the animals were posing especially for them, but I expect the beasts were looking for one of the Burtts to bring them a treat. Or maybe they were just being friendly. I wished my phone was handy to take a picture, but it wasn't and there was other traffic - lots of it. Burtt's store was crowded. There were cars and people everywhere. I noticed a sign for "Pear Picking" - and that's new, I think. I believe Greg works with UVM experimenting with new varieties of fruit trees that are adapted to our harsh weather. They also have a good maple business, as well as the fruit, vegetables, cider - and their great cider doughnuts!!! I had fully intended to stop for doughnuts, but when I saw the crowds, I decided I'd wait and go back another time.

In the village, there were hardly any people around at all. I picked up a few things at the Cabot Village Store and the clerk there told me they hadn't been unusually busy. She said there were quite a lot of people around, but they were "probably distracted." I'm sure they had plenty of interesting things to do on such a nice day. There were only four cars ahead of me at the church to pickup dinners. I saw my neighbor, Helen Morrison, there and we chatted for a moment - but I got my dinners quickly and efficiently, and headed back home. Two went to Jamie and Marie, mine went into the fridge for later, and I headed for Diane Rossi's for chicken pie from North Danville! I enjoy both dinners each year, only most years they don't fall ont he same day; but I decided there is no reason I shouldn't have it all!

Diane had a delightful friend visiting from Hershey, Pennsylvania. And she works at the Hershey chocolate plant! As if that wasn't interesting enough, she went to UVM and knows the area farming community and a good deal about Cabot Creamery. She has traveled extensively and I had a wonderful evening exchanging stories with her. Not only that - she reads the blog! I was surprised to learn that - and I was particularly amused that she knew my family - it was as if we were old friends. I hadn't realized just how much of my life is an open book. But that's ok - as older folks often do, I enjoy telling my stories. I'm just very happy when someone lets me know something I've written here was of interest to them, so until someone points out that I'm either repeating myself too often or simply not making any sense, I'll probably keep writing as long as my fingers can operate my keyboard.

We got a little rain again this afternoon - our sunny break lasted barely a day and a half! I will be happy as long as we don't wake up to snow some morning soon. In the meantime, have a good week, all you folks who go to your day jobs, and if you are at home or retired, be happy, safe, and stay healthy. And for leaf peepers - the best is yet to come here in the north country!

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...