Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Young Loon Update and Nature Photos

 I received an update from Gretchen Farnsworth this afternoon letting us know that Eric Hansen plans to come tomorrow to attempt capturing the young loon. I know a lot of you have been watching and worrying about the injured loon's safety knowing that there is an eagle lurking overhead. Gretchen told me she and Jim watched the adult loons fend off an attack by the eagle a day or so ago - it was apparently trying to get to the injured youngster, but was unsuccessful and flew away, thanks to the fierce parents. We're all hoping Eric can capture the loon without traumatizing it too much, although there may be interference by the two parents. I surely wouldn't want Eric's job. Loons can be pretty vicious when threatened or in defense of their young. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything more.

Mary Whitcomb in Randolph sent me some wonderful bird photos today, and after I'd filed those, I remembered she had also sent one of a monarch butterfly and the caterpillars on milkweed plants. Birds won't eat the caterpillars because they are poisonous from eating milkweed; also, milkweed is the only host plant the monarch butterfly uses, laying its eggs there where they hatch in about twelve days. The larva, or caterpillar, creates a chrysalis, or pupa and about a month later, the butterfly emerges. The warm, humid weather we had a few days ago should hasten the metamorphosis. It's interesting that the caterpillars eat nothing but milkweed leaves, but after it transforms into a butterfly, it will only sip nectar from flowers. If you are interested in learning about Monarch butterflies, visit "Monarch Life Cycle."

Here are some of Mary's bird photos for you to enjoy:

Robins taking care of bugs and worms

Hungry mounths to feed!

Early morning reflection enhances a hummingbird, and a goldfinch looks for seeds.

Thank you, Mary!


Some birds are already beginning to join flocks in preparation to migrate. I saw a flock of ducks flying over the pond yesterday, and I've had reports of geese flocking, as well. It's a little early for most species, but like other wildlife, they need to prepare for the winter ahead. Bears will be eating as much as possible to help sustain them through the winter, and bluejays are scrapping with squirrels for their share of seeds and nuts to store away. Hummingbirds will need lots of energy for their migration in a few weeks. It's a process.

Have a nice evening, and I'll post again tomorrow as soon as I hear from Gretchen - hopefully that the capture was successful and our young loon is on its way to getting help.

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...