Friday, May 06, 2022

No Mow May and Random Thoughts

 It's been a really nice day to work outside today. A bit windy, but that's not unusual, and it will help to dry wet fields and lawns out a bit. Consider this interesting concept: how about trying a "No Mow May" for your lawn this year? It doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. My lawn is nowhere near ready to be mowed, so how hard would it be to not mow the grass during the whole month of May? The thing is, at our elevation, we are probably about two weeks behind what is "normal" everywhere else, so I'm not sure how much advantage it would actually be to let the grass grow in order to let nature do it's thing - for birds to build their nests and raise their young, flowers to grow and pollinate, etc. They might just be getting started and perhaps we should let the grass grow for another two weeks.

Actually, I will not mow the newly seeded areas around my pond until fall. My plan is a once-a-year cut to keep bushes from springing up. Other than that, it will be a haven for whatever wildlife wants to inhabit it. I do hope to keep a path near the shoreline of the pond clipped so I can walk there. That will also leave some room for Jamie when he is working with the tractor. I wouldn't want him to get stuck in the pond! (He's clever enough not to have that happen, anyway, but just the same . . . ) Anyway, if you are interested, here is the link Kate Chatot sent to me about a "No Mow May" approach. She said she and Jay have done that and will continue.

I've had a busy week - busy for me, at least. I had a routine eye appointment Wednesday at Berlin to get set up with Dr. McNally, an optometrist with UVM. I hadn't had an actual eye exam since I began going to Dr. Kim eight or ten years ago, and he suggested I should probably do that since his specialty is retinas only. I had gone to Dr. Levin in St. Johnsbury previously, but there have been many changes in eye care in St. Johnsbury in the past decade, so it made sense to stay with UVM. Unfortunately, they were short staffed on Wednesdayand what would normally take less than an hour, took well over two, so I I was actually there all morning. I had some things to catch up on when I got home, so I didn't get outside to work. Yesterday I had errands in St. J., and then made what was going to be a quick stop to pick up books at the Danville Historical Society, but Patty said we needed to sign more, so I stayed to do that. It gave us time to catch up on some things, and that was all good. Plus, I now h ave a good supply of books, if anyone wants a copy of "West Danville, Vermont, Then and Now, 1781-2021."

I am working on a writing project, and that takes up most of my mornings. Afternoons I try to get outside to do some work, and that goes well for a little while, but I have to be careful to give my back a rest periodically, otherwise I know I'll lose a day recovering. I love just sitting and watching what's going on around me. I've seen a variety of insects today, including a couple of bumblebees. About the only flowers that are out are daffodils, but I'm sure in the woods there are other flowers beginning to bloom. I am noticing that there is a large patch of what I believe will be lilies that has shown up where the timber was cut between my driveway and Jamie's. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be. I had never realized there were any plants in that area except marshy undergrowth. Time will tell. 

I believe I was visited by a bear last night. When I went out to check my rain gauge, part of it was on the deck nearby and the plastic measuring tube was scratched as if something had tried to chew on it. The edges of the other plastic parts showed similar marks. Nothi9ng was badly damaged, but I was amazed a bear - or any animal - would find that hard plastic appealing in any way. It hasn't been around food, but I did recently give everything a good washing with detergent. Perhaps there was something about the soap that caught the bear's attention. It might not have been a bear, but I can't think of what other animal would be bold enough to "attack" the weather station. I had a skunk visit several nights a week ago, digging for grubs on the lawn. He turned the lights on in the back yard, and I was able to watch him for some time. They are interesting creatures.

Cousin Ora sent a photo taken on a trip she made on May 1st to visit Blithwold estate
gardens
in Bristol, Rhode Island. I can't imagine a more pleasant way to celebrate May Day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Regulations and Seasonal Changes

 The change to Vermont's boating regulations regarding wake boats went into effect on April 15. One of the new regulations I wasn't...