Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Much Needed Rain Arrived!

 We have had well over two inches of rain from Saturday through last night. My pond was down 6-8 inches, but it's full again and wet along a good share of the back side where the springs above are overflowing again. I was pleased at how that bank was drying out, but now it's just like when there was melting snow up there. 

I've had ducks stopping over pretty regularly, but there is nothing growing in the pond yet, so with nothing to eat, they move on after their morning bath. I wanted to see how the water level was one morning this weekend, so in between showers I started to walk to the far end of the pond where the overflow pipe is. About half way along the shore I noticed some movement in the grass about 20 ft. ahead of me. It was a pair of ducks that had apparently been settled on the bank enjoying some quiet time when I came along. It took me a few steps to realize they were not going to fly away - they were just staying a safe distance ahead of me, waddling away and looking back to keep an eye on me. I immediately stopped and actually spoke out loud, "Sorry, guys . . . ! " and quickly turned around and went back to the house. They stayed. I don't know for how long; I decided I'd give them some privacy, so I did my thing and let them do theirs. I never did get to check the water level, but with binoculars, I can see that the water is level with the overflow and everything is working just fine.

The Destination Danville event has been rescheduled for May 29th, Memorial Day Weekend; same time, 11 - 1 o'clock. I plan to be there with our West Danville History book. That will be a busy weekend. The spring meeting is on the 28th, at 10 a.m. at the JPA pavilion. That reminds me, if you haven't paid your dues ($40 plus any amount you wish to go to fireworks, pickle ball or the playground, etc.) better get that off your list of "to-do things" now. The cost of everything has gone up, and I'm sure everyone is feeling the effects, one way or another. However, JPA dues are the same, and will hopefully not increase. During the Great Depression years, the newly-formed Joe's Pond Association suspended dues. I think they were something like $1 per person at the time, and that was a hardship. There were no meetings that year, and no social events. Money was really tight. You will find details about those times in West Danville, Vermont, Then and Now, 1781-1921. I have copies, also they are at Hastings Store, Walden Stop-Inn Shop, and at the Danville Historical Society, open Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10-5. It's a good read, if I do say so myself! Our mantra when writing it was, if we're going to do this, let's do it right. I think we did. JPA member, Bruce Palmer, wrote a very nice review for the JPA Spring Newsletter, and Patty and I both thank him for his kind words. It means a lot when a member of our own community expresses approval. That makes the eight years of hard work putting all of that material together worthwhile. Thank you so much, Bruce Palmer.

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...