Saturday, November 27, 2021

Winter Has Arrived!

 I think winter is finally here - in shovelsfull. We had snow or snow/rain mix most of yesterday and then last night the temperature dropped significantly. About 10:30 I looked out on my porch and saw that snow had collected on the screens on all sides and was sifting onto the porch. I hadn't paid much attention to the weather, but did realize that the wind was blowing - I just didn't know how much until I saw the porch (right). My first thought was that I wish I had some sort of panels to keep the snow off the new porch, but then realized that it is pretty much weather-proof - the furniture is covered and secure, rain and snow can beat in, but the wood is protected and the floor is practically indestructible. Still . . .

This morning, even before I looked out at the pond, I looked at the porch again. Most of the snow had blown off the screens, but there are 2-3 inches on everything. Not too bad considering I measured almost 10 inches of snow on the deck this morning.

Jamie came down early and plowed the driveway. We made provisions for him to be able to push the snow far onto the lawn in several directions to insure there will be enough space just in case this is a winter when we get more than the usual amount of snow. Even last year he was beginning to run out of space in places. We are both thinking that the snow from this storm will likely stay and it's best to be prepared. It's hard to move the snow when it is packed in around the driveway, and moving it far onto the lawn area should help. 

I did the porch in two sessions this morning. The snow is pretty heavy and with so much of it, I didn't want my back to give out before I got the whole thing finished. I cleared about half of the deck so I could get to my measuring tube that was completely full, but not over-filled and piled high as it is sometimes. After I'd taken all the measurements and sent my report, I went back and finished clearing the rest and the steps. I still have the walkway to do, but that is only a short distance to where Jamie had plowed and cleared the snow from my back door. He was going to come back to do the walk and deck, but I need the exercise and can certainly take care of it. I'll admit sometimes it is hard to get out there when it's below zero and blowing, but in a way it's a good challenge, and I kind of enjoy it - up to a point!

The snow seems to have nearly stopped now and I think the sky may clear later today. I doubt if there will be much melting going on - and even if there is, it will take time for all this snow to melt, and I'm pretty sure we'll have more snow added in the next few days. Seems to me a White Christmas is assured.

A few people have asked how my pond is doing these days. I haven't been out to it since last Saturday, but it has remained frozen all week and now is only defined by the darker snow. The photo on the left was taken on Tuesday morning; the one on the right, this morning.

It's very pretty everywhere. I am able to see bits of Joe's Pond through the trees now that the leaves are gone, but there are still large trees preventing a clear view. Once my neighbors, John and Liz Randall get here next spring, I'm hoping some of those big trees will be taken down. John talked about it when they visited this fall. In the meantime, I have some big ones that should probably be taken down, too - near the road and power lines below my house. I always worry that they will come down and take out the power. Mine are mostly very tall poplars and when they get really big, they usually blow down, so I'll probably have them taken care of before that happens. 

It is still snowing lightly but the wind has died down almost completely. Looks like it may be a fairly quiet day. If you are out and about, enjoy, but stay safe. Roads here could be a bit dicey, but I expect the plows have been out everywhere and main highways should be ok. Actually, most of the roads except in the higher elevations like through West Danville, Walden and Cabot are probably just fine. I'm always amused to leave here bundled up with winter boots, parka, and gloves, only to find the folks in Danville or Marshfield comfortably going about in regular shoes, light jackets and no gloves. Sometimes they look at me a bit suspiciously, like "where did you come from?" Obviously they don't get up our way much.





No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...