Thursday, October 14, 2021

Catching Up and Falling Leaves

 The rain came late last night and has been fairly steady, but light, most of today. I have watched sadly as the leaves came off my maple trees in waves. I so hate to see them go. It has been unusually colorful right around my house

this year and I've enjoyed sitting on my porch and just looking at the beauty of it all. Photos don't do it justice, except perhaps this one - right in front of my big windows and visible from both the front deck and the side porch! By tomorrow it will probably be bare.

Joanne Stewart sent me this link to a WCAX newscast that I found really interesting - if a little frustrating. I should probably play it again to be certain, but I don't recall Joe's Pond being mentioned even once, yet the majority of the photos are shots of and around the pond. Perhaps they just pulled the most colorful and interesting fall photos they have gathered and used them. Who knows! Check it out (video clip).

Nancy Buttura let me know that the cottage that is being redone on Edgewood Ave. is the one that John Sherwood used to own and now the property belongs to Cynthia Donlon, I believe. Martin Bertolini is doing that project. On Barre Ave, Larry Rossi's guys are doing Rubalcaba's. Thanks for that update, Nancy.

I had a note from Pam and Joe Buttura this week letting me know their son Chris and his wife, Lisa ran in the Boston Marathon. Pam wrote: We were in Boston for the Marathon Saturday. Lisa ran for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute and raised over $20,000. We are so proud of them. She sent this photo of Chris and Lisa. Well done, Chris and Lisa!

I drove around some of the roads here at the pond yesterday and it seems very quiet. There are a few people still around, but most have left, or are in the process of closing up for the winter. A few will delay going south until after Thanksgiving - or perhaps even after Christmas, but for the most part, those that are not year 'rounders, want to leave before the first snowflake falls. I can't say that I blame them, although I don't mind the winter coming myself. 

One last reminder - some of you will already know this, but Sunday, October 17, is Alba Rossi's 105th birthday. You might like to send her a card. Her address is: Lincoln House, Rm. 11, 120 Hill St., Barre VT 05641. For those of you who don't know Alba, she and her husband, Ted, were summer residents here at Joe's Pond for many years where her son Bill and Diane's house is on West Shore Road. Happy Birthday, Alba!!!

No comments:

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...