Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Signs of Spring

 The changeable weather is certainly an unmistakable sign of spring in Vermont. We had rain showers yesterday, but not enough to do more than wet the pavement of my driveway for a few minutes before the sun would break through the clouds and dry it off, only to laps back to become cloudy, cold and dreary once again. Today is going to be much the same - and there is a little shower passing through. Like yesterday, the temperature today is at 48 degrees is actually very comfortable for working outside. Sometime after lunch yesterday I decided to go outside to putter around, but every time I made a start, showers began again. I kept thinking, "April showers bring May flowers," and was content to retreat to the warmth of my living room. Finally, close to supper time, I got outside to do a little work.

When I came in a little later, and was checking my email,  I noticed movement on the back lawn. At first I couldn't be sure what it was, but then a big turkey strolled from behind a cedar tree, picking up seeds or bugs as he went. I didn't pay much attention - turkeys in the yard are pretty common, but I did wonder where the rest of the flock was. Suddenly, I saw him drop his wings, fan his tail and with head lowered, run down the lawn towards the garage. I grabbed my camera and dashed to another window, but he remained out of sight. By the time I located him again, he had apparently found the object of his mating display behind the garage,  so my next view was after he had settled his feathers, contentedly concentrating on gaining a full craw in preparation for a long night of roosting with his mate, while she was fully composed and obviously unflustered. I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of him in full regalia - it was quite a sight! I expect they may find a nesting place nearby, or perhaps they already have!

We are expecting changeable weather for the next several days. We are also going to be blessed with another onslaught of heavy, wet snow later in the week; but then I hope we will see a real upturn and everything will begin to bloom. I've found a few bulbs have poked through and I have a crocus or two showing up, plus a solitary tulip that came out of nowhere - I haven't had tulips in my garden for years, but this one came up close to the foundation - obviously a leftover from some more energized time in my gardening life. I found some lilies poking through - I think they are tiger lilies. I have lots of lemon lilies or day lilies, but I thought I'd lost all the tiger lilies. It will be interesting to watch these sprouts develop. These "new" old plants are a result, I believe, of having my neighbor Anita Kelman prep my flower beds last fall. They were in sad need of attention, needing weeding and mulching. After Anita got them weeded, I mulched with some well aged wood chips. That seems to have been a good move, as things are showing up - somewhat out of place, but at least alive and apparently well!

Now the latest shower has passed so I'm going outside to see if I can find any daffodils that survived the foot of snow, more or less, that covered them recently. I will be dodging showers again today, for sure. I'm just hoping it won't be snow showers.


No comments:

April Showers

Our April Showers are darned cold this morning. My outside temperature reading is 37.5F and there is a bit of wind out of the NW. It isn'...