Thursday, April 15, 2021

Dreary Day

 Not every day can be sunny and warm, and today was proof of that. We do need rain, and by noon we were getting the first sprinkles. Later in the afternoon the sprinkles turned to a very light but steady rain. It's cold (38.7F) and we will no doubt look out at daybreak on a white world again. The prediction is three to five inches of snowfall for our area. Pretty typical April weather, but that doesn't make it any more welcome.

Yesterday I picked did some pruning on the old lilac bush, hoping a good clipping will help to rejuvenate it, and I noticed that the daffodils on the bank below it were budded. Only a few were fully open, but  knowing snow is expected, I gathered some and then added some rhododendron leaves. This morning the daffies were in full bloom and beautiful. I suspect those left outside will be crushed by heavy, wet snow by tomorrow. Some will recover nicely, but a few will break  under the weight of the snow.

Today was a full day for me, and I'm really tired tonight. I had an early morning dental appointment to have a troublesome wisdom tooth extracted. I feel very fortunate that I found Dr. Scott Bedell in Lyndonville. For the past year, because of the Covid pandemic, I avoided going to a dentist, and wanted to start fresh because I knew I would need quite a bit of "catch up" work. I've been very pleased with everyone at Dr. Bedell's office. They are friendly, exceedingly thorough and very conscientious about protecting patients and staff from the virus. I felt perfectly comfortable there right from the first visit.

I had a few other errands to do when I finished at the dentist's and arrived home at about noon. When I went to my computer to check emails and get a little work done, the mouse wouldn't work - at all. I have little or no knowledge about the mechanics of such gadgets. Fred took care of all of that. But I figured the batteries were dead, like happens with my phone and just about every other gadget in the house these days. However, I pushed and pried, but I couldn't figure out how to get it open. I still had my laptop so I was able to send an email to Jamie to please stop in and help me. Turned out the darned mouse doesn't need batteries. All I needed to do was to reboot the computer. Why didn't I think of that? Restarting fixes almost everything! After all, isn't that what spring is all about?



No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...