Friday, March 26, 2021

Rainy Day, Sadness and Signs of Spring

 Today has been rainy, foggy, and cooler by far than the last couple of days, and I mean temperature-wise, not a statement of the day's attributes. The snow has disappeared almost as if by magic, and as the fog lifted late this afternoon and I was able to see some of my back yard trees, I discovered the pussywillows are in full bloom! That is always a promising sign of spring! That, with spotting my first robin yesterday and a mourning dove in one of my apple trees today, kind of made the day special.

Also, I joined some West Shore neighbors at Dotty and Bob Noyes's home for a lovely brunch this morning. I hadn't seen my neighbors to really talk with for months, and it was great to catch up with Bob and Dotty, Ray and Cyndi Rouleau and Diane Rossi. All of us oldsters have been fully immunized by now and felt safe to finally mingle outside of our family units. It was the highlight of an otherwise dull day.

In today's Caledonian Record, there is notice of the passing of Virginia "Gini" Reed, mother of three; Beth Reed Wechsler (Barre Ave.), James and John Reed. She also leaves four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Gini had many, many friends in the St. Johnsbury and Joe's Pond area, and we all loved her sunny disposition, pep and enthusiasm. Even when the road of life got rough, Gini managed to put on a smile and somehow found the bright side of things. I always enjoyed her - as our neighbor when our families were growing up in St. Johnsbury, and later when I frequently ran into her at White Market. I will miss her - she was an inspiration, always cheerful, beautiful, and interested in everyone. My thoughts are with her family; they have truly lost a treasure.

Also in today's obituaries is one for David Carpenter, of Cabot. David was a local musician and farmer who was a talented, interesting, friendly man who will be missed by many who knew him, his music, and his gardens. I didn't know him well, but I admired him. My thoughts are with his family, especially his young son, Sam and Sam's mom, Susan. 

My friend, Mary Whitcomb sent these two photos to me earlier this week. She said this is the first robin she has seen this season - and what a great shot she got! Such a pretty bird.

The picture below is of the moon when Mary was out watching the International Space Station (ISS) pass by. It is my understanding that this was only visible in our region for a short time at a specific time one day recently. I am amazed at how clear and sharp the moon is in this photo. If the ISS is in the shot, I failed to see it - but she didn't say for sure if she actually got a picture as it passed overhead. This is a neat photo, though! Once again, Thanks, Mary!


 


No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...