Thursday, February 18, 2021

Safe Landing

 Isn't it amazing that the landing on Mars went without a hitch? Andy Rudin sent me that link to the NASA site. Very impressive stuff.

Here at Joe's Pond things are pretty quiet. I think lots of people are getting anxious for warm weather. I've heard people talking about mowing lawns and gardening already! Seems far off, but actually, if you want a garden, you'd better order your seeds well ahead - it's probably a bit too late even now to get seedlings started effectively. 

I wasn't surprised this morning when I looked out my bedroom window and noticed that my grape arbor has collapsed under the heavy snow. I thought I heard something unusual in the night, but I didn't investigate because I wasn't even sure I'd actually heard the noise - there was a good possibility I was dreaming. But when I saw the grape arbor, I immediately suspected that was what I heard. I'm pretty sure there would have been some cracking and a thump as the branches were torn away and all that snow landed on the ground. No real harm done - it was made of old tree limbs criss-crossing to support the vines. Easily fixed in the spring - or torn down. I haven't decided. Perhaps it is time to do away with it. I rarely went there to sit, even though I've kept chairs and a garden table there every summer. It's a very peaceful spot. I'll decide later.

I hope you have all had someone check out your camp roofs to be sure the snow buildup isn't getting too heavy. I'm really glad I had Gene Danis get the snow off mine. It's very heavy. Gene's number is 802-473-6257, if you didn't happen to see it when I posted it on the 15th.

I can smell my meatloaf baking in the oven, so I'm going to go and take a look. Meatloaf, baked potato with sour cream, and buttered peas. It doesn't get much better than that. I have my neighbors to thank for reminding me how good it is - Jamie and Marie had meatloaf last week and Diane Rossi told me she made one this week. I couldn't resist making one myself!

Stay warm and safe.

No comments:

Snow & Ice Report

 W e're through another March snowstorm, and as far as I can tell, we aren't expecting more snow this month. We'll probably have...