Friday, August 28, 2020

Chair is Back, Autumn and Apples

 Hi Jane,

We took a cruise yesterday afternoon and spotted our Adirondack hung up on the rocks at Paulsen's camp. It had quite a journey but is still in one piece, just a few scratches from banging against rocks. Back home with its mate now. 

Richard and Carmen Gagne.

______________________________

That's really good the chair wasn't badly damaged. We could get heavy rain later today and especially tomorrow as the remnants of Hurricane Laura pass by. That could mean high water in the pond (tie down your water toys and furniture!) and possibly more wind as thunder storms pass through.

The final Sunfish sailing race was postponed last Sunday due to poor weather, but this Sunday could have some showers, as well. After a summer of weekends being pretty  nice, we can expect more changeable weather now autumn is approaching. I'm seeing the landscape beginning to change with some reds and yellows edging out the vibrant green of the hillside behind our house. The goldenrod is flourishing, there is some milkweed going to seed, and the ferns are turning color. The apples are almost all off our old tree - stripped by the wind last week, and just plain too ripe to hang on. Which reminds me - Burtt's Apples on Cabot Plains Road just off of Rt. 215 in Cabot are ready for picking, in case you have a desire to get into the field and pick your own, or buy them already gathered into pecks or bushels. They have lots of other great products, too. 

I'm thinking about cutting back the flowers (and weeds) in my gardens. Time to begin buttoning down for winter. Fred reminded me yesterday that it would be nice to get these things done in October this year instead of November when we usually do it and work in spitting snow squalls. If I begin thinking about these chores now, I may get to do them sooner rather than later.

We had a lovely surprise yesterday when my cousins from Massachusetts paid us a dooryard call. It was  wonderful to see them and catch up. One of their sons is renting from Ted and Barbara Chase this week and enjoying Joe's Pond with their children. I guess like a lot of us, Vermont has special meaning for them.

I've been piecing together the story of when two prisoners escaped from authorities in West Danville years ago. It has finally come together with the help of librarians at the St. Johnsbury Athanaeum and some personal interviews. It was one of those stories in the West Danville history book that I felt uneasy about because I couldn't find the resolution - how and where they were finally captured. But now I have it and have rewritten that whole segment. Funny how these stories go - sometimes they take on a life of their own. This  one surely did, and I'm so glad I kept digging for more information. I'm not sure how happy our editor will be with me because the story is going to take up much more space than we had originally planned. It's ok - there are other places I can trim a bit, and we are presently sifting out photos that aren't good enough  quality to print well. It's all coming together!

No comments:

Spring Mix!

I started this a couple days ago but got kind of busy and never got back to it. I had posted about the Route 2 construction, but that notice...