Sunday, January 05, 2020

We gained another three inches or so of snow yesterday and last night. It's blustery outside today, but the sun has broken through a little, fighting its way through the blowing snow. A couple weeks ago I brought in a pot of tulip bulbs that had been sitting in the garage since they died back last spring. I'd watered them and kind of forgot about them sitting on a table in the basement. This morning I noticed there are several nice green sprouts there, so I brought them upstairs. The warmth and light should bring them out soon - and we'll have a hint of spring during the dreary days of January and February. If all goes well, that is. 

Actually, our winter is just getting started. Shelly Walker sent me the following yesterday:

The fishing activity is picking up on the bay.  This morning there were 2 wooden shanties on the ice, 2 tents, and several groups fishing and dragging their sleds over the ice.  All seem to be setting up on the opposite shore, from the access area to about Precourts.   Last night I got up about 3 AM and there was a very bright light shining at my house.  The source was across the bay, so I doubt they were specifically targeting my house.

Who knows what was going on in the wee hours of the morning? Someone wanting to get an early start on fishing, perhaps. Perhaps Vermont Fish & Game? Nah, probably not!

Here's something I found really interesting. There is a "Magnum P. I." marathon on one of the Hallmark channels starting tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern time, 9 Central time.  These are the original series, and should be great fun to watch. We are recording them - 24 in all. We probably won't watch all of them, but some were really fun shows and it will be nice to see a young Tom Selleck (loved those short shorts!) and John Hillerman - plus all the other characters in their prime. I never warmed up to the new version of Magnum.  

Drive carefully and watch your step. There's ice hidden under this beautiful coating of snow!

No comments:

AND THE WINNER IS . . . !

The winner of the 2024 Joe's Pond Ice-Out Contest is Stuart Ramsdell of Danville. Stuart is retired and bought five tickets at Hastings ...