Sunday, June 23, 2019

This morning I had the historical newsletter from the Vermont Historical Society in my mailbox. These are usually very interesting, but today's is especially so because it mentions several items of local interest. At the very end is a short piece about the "Yellow House" tavern that stood on Cabot Plain.  You will also find interesting snippets of  information on the Waterbury Asylum, Barre granite quarries, among other subjects.

When I read about the Yellow House tavern, I realized there was an error in the piece on the Cabot Historical Society site. Archie Stone's account of the tavern is posted there and in that, he referred to "the Beardsley brothers." I learned some time ago from a relative of the Beardsleys who lived in Cabot and did, indeed, build the old tavern and were very active in the community in the late 1700s and early 1800s. However, Horace was Gersham's nephew, not his brother.

It is not unusual to find conflicting information when one is researching historical events. Not only was the handwriting on old documents difficult to read, when these old documents are digitized, the computer frequently makes mistakes when "reading" those old papers.  It is always good, whensoever possible, to double check - and look at the original, if possible.

I found that Horace Beardsley served several years on the board of the Caledonia County Grammar School in Peacham that later became Peacham Academy. He lived in Cabot at the time.

Here's what I think the Yellow House tavern may have looked like back in it's day.

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...