Friday, November 24, 2017

Today was "Black Friday," supposedly the busiest day of the year for merchants.  We were in St. Johnsbury today for Fred's appointment with his oncologist, and afterwards, went to the mall so I could pick up more reading glasses - I get three pairs for $2.99, and they're great.  I leave a pair or two in every room because I'm always needing to read fine print on something - but somehow they always still disappear and then I find 3-4 pairs in one place and none where I need them. 
     Back to shopping.  There was perhaps a little more activity than we usually see at the mall, but not a lot. I think people are waiting for snow and perhaps want to wait until it's closer to Christmas.  Or it could be that the area is seriously depressed - not a lot of money available for Christmas shopping.  
     I found some spectacles to replenish my supply since over time I've had to toss a couple pairs.  The bow dropped off in one instance - plastic hinge, not a pin, and I dropped another pair and the plastic holding the lens broke.  I glued it, but it never quite lined up correctly and kept coming unglued, so I ditched that pair, too.  I'd only had them for about three years.  I couldn't find any colorful ones this time - but I can take care of that with nail polish.
     I read in the Hardwick Gazette that Joni Calcagni (North Shore Road) is teaching a dance class at the Woodbury school.  That's pretty neat.  I bet the kids (and parents) love having that advantage.  Our grandchildren have both been involved with dancing and loved it.  Tangeni misses going with her big sister this year.
     I spent some time at the Danville town offices researching some deeds this week.  Not a very productive session.  I came away with more questions than answers, but will go back again when I have more time and try again.  I'm hoping to find out some of the very early owners of buildings in West Danville.  The trouble is, those old timers exchanged property more often than their underwear.  Farms got sold or were rented out, put up as collateral, and property lines were designated by a beech tree or a "big rock" or were bordered by a road that is no longer on any map, so more often than not, I don't have a clue which property is the one that still exists.  Some of those old guys made a living from buying and selling real estate, I think.  In the total scheme of things, I don't suppose it's critical to nail down this information, but I'd still like to try.

No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...