Wednesday, October 14, 2015

This has been another unusual day - a little bit of everything.  We've had some brief and beautiful periods of sunshine intermingled with rain showers and gloomy cloud cover, but the mix was wonderful for getting great photos, if you happened to be in the right spot at the right time - and quick enough.  Here are two great shots I received from Rena Ellingwood this evening.  She and Mark are on the Route 2 side of the middle pond and got these photos this morning.  The dark sky made a spectacular contrast - and that double rainbow is beautiful.  Thanks to Rena for sharing.
I noticed the contrast as the sun came up briefly this morning, too.  The top picture was from my office window.  Then I raced into the bedroom to get a better shot of the rainbow, but by then it had faded away (next picture).  For just a few minutes the sun filtered through the clouds up towards Walden (third shot down), but that didn't last long, either.  I took a chance shooting towards the pond and even with the sun right in front of me, the leaves were beautiful.  Within a few minutes it was raining.  The whole day has been like that, with showers and sunshine and gradually getting cooler - but not uncomfortable except at the Historical Society building in Cabot where I went this afternoon to meet with two teachers.  The building is like an oven in the summer and like a refrigerator this time of year.  I was sorry for the two young teachers who came dressed like it was summer.  It was much warmer outside than it was in the building, but by the time we left the sun was dropping behind the hills and I'm sure they were both about frozen.  I'm meeting another group tomorrow - teachers and students, but if time allows, Bonnie has volunteered to go to the building at 6 a.m. or so to build a fire in the big old wood stove.  It takes a while for it to warm the space, but by the time I get there at 9, it should be ok.  However, Bonnie has more than enough to do with the Apple Pie Festival coming up on Saturday and I certainly wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to get up at that hour in the morning to build a fire - I think they will all dress warmly this time - it's the same group that came last week and got chilled through.  They'll be staying longer tomorrow - about 2 hours, I think, so I'm betting they'll be better prepared for our frigid historical building. 

I have no idea what the weather will be like tomorrow, but I believe it may be a lot like it's been today, only slightly cooler.  We're edging into late fall/early winter mode.  It's time.












No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...