Tuesday, October 06, 2015

I've had a couple "days off" from my computer.  Got up Monday morning with a touch of the "blahs," a little vertigo and just not feeling up to par.  Numerous naps throughout the day yesterday and another one this afternoon seems to have righted things (literally) and I'm back to feeling human again.  I think I need to learn to pace myself better - sometimes I do too much for too long and pay the price.  Consequently, I missed going on the road trip with the others on the West Danville History Committee on Monday.  I haven't heard how productive the venture was, but I was really sorry to have to miss it.  They had a nice day to do it and hopefully covered most of the back roads around town and got some great information.

Sadly, I just learned in the Caledonian Record of the death of Dr. John Gould (60 Narrows Dr.) at his home in Alabama.  We are always sad when we lose a member of our Joe's Pond community.  I didn't know Dr. Gould personally, but I know he had grown up in St. Johnsbury and was very fold on Joe's Pond.  Those of you who may wish to send condolences may send them to Mrs. Gould at 1600 Manchester Ln, Birmingham, AL 35243. Our sincere condolences to his wife, Sheryl and their family. 

There will be another "year 'rounder" at the pond by this time next year.  I talked with Shelly Walker today and she told me the Walker cottage will be torn down this fall and she plans to build a new, year around home on the site.  Her parents, Don and Audrey, have spent summers at Joe's Pond for over 50 years until the last couple of summers when health problems prevented them from spending much time here.  Shelly is excited at the prospect of living here all year and told me this is something she's always wanted to do.  Don had told us some time ago he expected Shelly would come to Joe's Pond to live year around at camp, and I know he and Audrey will be thrilled that Shelly will be carrying on the tradition of being a Joe's Ponder.  We're excited that she is doing this and hope her plans move along smoothly.  Right now she is awaiting permission from the Town of Cabot to remove the existing building.  

I want to remind you about a couple of events coming up - it just happens that both are on Saturday, October 17, but you should be able to take in both!  The Apple Pie Festival in Cabot starts at 9 a.m. with the contest for the best tasting home-made apple pie, an on-going Silent Auction and Craft Fair, lots of good food for your lunch (apple pie by the slice or whole pie!), and then for supper you can drop in at the Dime-A-Dip Pot Luck supper around 5 o-clock at the South Congregational Church in St. Johnsbury for the benefit of Kingdom Animal Shelter.  They are having a pie and cake auction and entertainment.  This should make a fun, full day for you.  That's what fall in Vermont is all about - fun and food!  Of course, the foliage is getting to be pretty spectacular, too, and should be just about at its best by then.  

Bill and Diane Rossi spent the weekend in Kennebunkport, Maine.  Bill was watching for any of the Bush family or other celebs who might be visiting.  I expect the town is quieter these days than when there was a Bush in the White House and there were frequent high-level meetings at the Bush summer home.  Looks like a lovely spot to people-watch or just gaze out at the ocean.  Thanks for the photo, Diane. Click on any image to make it larger. 




No comments:

Spring Weather/Good News

 Thank goodness we have a rainy day today! Yesterday was so nice I was outside probably more than my winter-weary body needed, so today I...