Wednesday, August 12, 2015

We had another nice soaking rain last night.  I measured exactly 1 inch this morning.  I have to say this has been a really wet, cool summer - but like my neighbor reminds me, "Everything is so lush and green!"  We'll begin to see colors changing soon as the life cycle of the green stuff changes in spite of all the refreshing rain, and perhaps the foliage season will be exceptional because of all the moisture, but of course things could change in the next few weeks.  I'm not sure moisture has anything to do with fall color anyway.

I had a note from Margie Harper in California this week.  Margie and Charlie own a cottage on Clubhouse Circle with Don Jones.  Margie told me Charlie had a stroke in April, so they were unable to come to Joe's Pond this year.  He's apparently doing ok, but it's a long, hard road back to good health. Also, Don's son, Josh, broke his neck in a diving accident two weeks ago and is paralyzed from his waist down.  Josh is in his late 30's, Margie said.  Don and family live in Delaware and cancelled plans to come to the pond.  Both families can use your prayers and support through cards and messages.  To reach Josh, send messages to:  H. Donald Jones, 1805 Shipley Rd., Wilmington DE 19803; phone, 302-478-7461.  
Margie and Charlie Harper are at 18002 Lassen Dr., Santa Ana CA 92705; phone 714-602-8871.  I'm sure they'd like to know their friends here at Joe's Pond are thinking of them and wishing both Charlie and Josh a speedy and complete recovery.  

Back here at Joe's Pond, don't forget the yard sale at the church in West Danville this Saturday.  Dot Larrabee told me this morning she expects to be working at getting organized on Friday, so will be at the church at some point, but isn't certain when, so call her at 684-3620 to find out when you can drop off articles, or call Jane Milne at 684-3343.  Go through your house and pick a few articles you don't use anymore or that don't fit in with your new decor or that Aunt Mildred gave you years ago and you never used - you know you have things like that hanging out in closets and drawers!  So give it to Dot and Jane for the sale.  I look forward to these sales so I can discard things I no longer use but that still have value for someone else.  It's "recycling" at it's best!

Then be sure to go to the sale Saturday at the church from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., and find some treasure to replace what you just discarded!  It drives husbands nuts that we women do that, but then they find treasures, too, like tools they already have several of, or books they take home and don't read and that you'll put in another yard sale in a year or so.  The cycle lives!

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...