Thursday, August 20, 2015

Summer is going out with lots of heat!  These past days have taken a toll on lots of us, leaving us wishing we could package some of the heat for next January.  I have even less energy than usual on these days, and even our cat, Woody, has shown some signs of stress lately - perhaps due to the heat.  It's hard to tell with him.  He has always loved being outside after dark, but lately he's been very skittish about being outside.  We aren't sure if he senses something threatening is lurking in the shadows or if he's perhaps actually seen something out there, but he is sticking very close to the house and when he comes in, which he does frequently during the evening, he is nervous as a cat (unusual for him!) and only stays in briefly before asking to go out again, preferring to use the door into the garage rather than onto the deck.  We often find him crouched on top of the car watching out the windows at the back of the garage.  I suspect there are animals - perhaps a skunk or a raccoon or maybe even a bear, out there and he knows it.  I'm just as happy that I can't see whatever it is he's wary of. 

It's nice that nights have been cooling down, though, and I have to admit I haven't missed any sleep due to the heat.  What a nice way to finish up the summer, though.  I say that because in a couple of weeks kids will be heading back to school and that will take a lot of our Joe's Pond folks back to their homes and soccer games.  The final meeting of Joe's Pond Association is on Saturday, the 22nd, at 10 a.m. at the pavilion.  We hope to have a good turnout for that.

Andy Rudin sent me a link to a very interesting promotional video that has a lot of Joe's Pond images on it - and Joe's Ponders!  Take a look HERE.  

The bridge in Walden is finished and all is back to normal as far as traffic is concerned.  We are glad there were no serious problems as a result of the traffic being re-routed.

I have a question I hope someone familiar with Joe's Pond can answer:  Where was the cottage "Shiloh" located, and who was the owner in about 1917?  I visited a friend whose father and mother "courted" at this cottage, and she is wondering where it was.  It was built like many other cottages of that era, so it's very hard to tell where it was located; but that big boulder in front may be a clue - if it is still there.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who may have a clue.  Email me, please.


 

No comments:

Spring Thoughts and Trials

 I heard the first frogs of the season on Tuesday. I was working on getting my porch set up ready for summer weather and realized there were...