Sunday, May 31, 2015

We should have made up some of the water we need in the pond.  We've had pretty steady rain from last night through most of today and it's going to continue tomorrow into next week.  I recorded .83 inch this morning and we've had more today.  The ground is absorbing it nicely, so there may not be as much runoff into the pond, but still, it's going to help.

My friend, Mary Whitcomb, caught an error I made on the blog yesterday - I said construction on the Route 15 bridge was scheduled to begin on June 6th, but it is actually the week of June 8th, and the bridge is scheduled to be completely closed around the 22nd, if everything happens on schedule.  I went back and changed that - sorry if I caused undue concern about when things will get interesting along West Shore Road.

I had a message today from the grand niece of the late Julia Milligan, who with her husband, Flea, owned a store in West Danville some years ago.  The lady inherited some of Julia's photos and other memorabilia and has offered to share.  I'm excited to learn what she has.  I have a meeting with the West Danville History Committee tomorrow, and I'm sure they'll be interested.  It's a real thrill to have someone come forward and offer historic items or information.  

If you went to school in West Danville or lived there years ago, we'd like to hear from you, too.  E-mail me here, or give me a call, 802-563-2381, and one of us will work with you in person, by phone or e-mail.  We are picking up a lot of information from old newspapers through 1922, but the papers are not digitized after that date, so research will be more difficult and we are going to need personal interviews to fill in the gaps.  Photos, diaries and journals are wonderful resources, and we appreciate an opportunity to see or scan those if you don't wish to donate the originals.  We're also always interested in personal recollections.  Just hearing about what the village was like when someone moved here or left here, or worked at Point Comfort back in the day,  knew former owners of the stores, filling stations or farms close by, maybe worked on the St. J. & L. C. R. R., or your family has long owned or once owned a cottage here and you have stories to tell - it is all important information for us. We hope you'll help us collect memories to preserve and share.


No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...