Sunday, May 18, 2014

I have no idea how things got so busy, but it seems as if I've been on a treadmill lately.  Lots going on this time of year, for sure, and lots to do for spring cleanup inside and out.  But I finally got a minute tonight to put together the slideshow of Granddaughter Jo-Ann's dance recital - I hope you enjoy it.  This is a picture of all the participants - it's absolutely amazing to me that there are so many children.  It's organized chaos backstage, with lots of mothers helping, and everything always goes off without a hitch, wonder of wonders.  I remember the confusion when I had dance recitals an eon or so ago at the old Palace Theater in St. Johnsbury.  Mrs. Doyle taught dance every Saturday in the Pythian Building on Eastern Avenue, and then our recital was at the Palace.  I remember climbing all those stairs at the Pythian to get to the big hall that had sliding doors so it could be opened up even bigger - but we only used the half towards the street, and were not allowed in the other part.  My father built a "practice board" for me so I wouldn't scratch the floor with my tap shoes.  It was hardwood and heavy - I have no idea what became of it.  I expect I was a fairly clumsy dancer, but it was always fun.

We have had a big turkey visit us recently.  It showed up yesterday and has been here at least twice today, wandering around the back lawn and under the crabapple tree before finally meandering into the brush.  We wonder why it seems to be alone, but I think I've read that sometimes there are "outcasts" that aren't allowed to travel with the flock.  This one seems happy enough - and looks very healthy.

Homer and Margaret stopped by today and left me two posters from 1976 when there were well-attended Sunfish races every weekend - I mean, 25 or 30 boats - not all great sailors, but everyone had a ton of fun.  One of the posters was advertising a Raffle with a "1976 Sunfish by Alcort or $500 cash" as the prize.  The money raised was to be used to resurface the tennis courts.

The second poster was advertising the Joe's Pond Boat Parade on Sunday, August 29, 1976.  It has instructions for participants and First Prize was $25.  It also says a photographer from Vermont Life Magazine would be there.  Afterwards there was a "family cookout" and Carol and Company Band was to play.  Everyone was to bring their own food and there would be grills available.  Doug Hamilton and George Brady were chairpersons that year.  I remember chairing it with Shelly Walker - we had a great time, and fortunately lots of help from family and friends.  I don't remember how many boats we had, but I'd guess a couple dozen at least.  I remember we arranged for everyone to get a prize.  We also had Miss Vermont ride in the parade, as I recall, and Bruce Judd was instrumental in that - I think he knew her parents or something.

This afternoon I went to the Cabot Historical Society's Annual Meeting.  Unfortunately, there were only a handful of people there. It is discouraging that more people don't take an interest in preserving memorabilia from our past, but most don't get interested until they realize they are becoming antiquated themselves and then they may get involved - if they're able.  We will plod along as best we can and do what needs to be done as long as possible.  The old building (1849) is showing its age like the rest of us, but it still has some good years left, and makes an ideal repository for our artifacts.  It was chilly today and we had the old wood stove going - the place got heated up about the time our meeting was over and we were leaving.  Such is life.

Today I found my asparagus is up and doing well.  A couple days ago there was no sign of it, but now there are a couple of fine tall stalks just right for picking.  It's amazing how quickly things come along if the weather's right.  My rhubarb is doing great and I'll have some for sauce by the end of the week, I think.  I also found some lettuce that wintered over - a nice row where I'd planted a mix last year - but just the red variety survived.  It's my favorite, so I was happy to see it.  I may wait another couple of weeks to plant more so I'll have a good crop most of the summer.  The ground is still too wet to think about planting seeds - and with night temperatures around 40, seeds are going to lay dormant and probably rot.  Only grass likes that sort of weather - and fortunately, some varieties of lettuce!  And dandelions.

No comments:

Update & Request

 Marti Talbot, Carolyn Hamilton's sister-in-law, emailed me this morning to thank everyone who has reached out to Carolyn while she'...